Ballet Talk for Dancers

Does stretching weaken your muscles?

bolshoiballerina13

I have always been very fascinated with how our bodies work. I read an article on POINTE.com that has a theory that stretching may weaken your muscles? I believe that you should work out just as much as you should stretch. I didn't know if there were any other opinions, much less facts. ? Let me know what you think.

Excellent question, bolshoiballerina13!

Too much stretching prior to class can absolutely be detrimental to your progress. As an example, sitting in a straddle split in the hallway before your class may even harm you, as well as have a negative effect in your training.

If you have a good amount of flexibility by birth, then your ballet classes should suffice provided you are getting excellent training in the right amount of classes weekly.

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, by the way!

• 2 months later...

I know I'm a bit late to this topic, but I found this quite interesting. How would sitting in a straddle/stretching before class harm you? I mean, assuming you were warmed up and not stretching cold. I was told by my physical therapist that I should stretch/warm up much longer than most people (for back) because of a previous injury. Never really heard of that before!

• Administrators

Assuming you are warmed up and not stretching cold, it probably would not harm. The harm comes from doing it prior to being properly warmed up.

• 2 weeks later...

Its really important to still warm up before class starts, maybe don't do a lot of big stretches but warming up your hips and achilles is very important.

• 2 weeks later...

Stretching does weaken your muscles a bit and exercising does make you a bit stiffer. That's why a good dancer need a combination of both

• Administrators

Chloper, do have any evidentiary evidence to back up your assertions?