Ballet Talk for Dancers

Breaking Bad....wind :(

Rosewaterandsunshine

Does any body have any ideas about trying to get people to go out of the room if they break wind in class? Have spent 4 of the last 7 classes at barre fighting off the gag reflex and because it's so cold now i can't even open the windows enough to disperse it..... EURGH! Have had enough! To be fair I know it's not one particular person but a number of individuals. Is it so much to ask that people leave the room and discretely sort out their bodily functions so we don't all have to suffer through them?

Any advice greatly received :(

And even if not....I feel better for ranting so thanks for that :)

Oh good lord, I'm so glad we don't have that problem. I honestly can't think of a way to "suggest" it if the person isn't already minding their own...personal aura.

My sympathies!

Could you make an announcement along the lines of your first posting to the class?

That needs bravery, but less bravery than standing on stage and doing a solo. And appropriately phrased, it neednt be offensive.

Or maybe the teacher if you speak to him/her would be willing to make a remark.

Jim.

Hmmm, I am not sure what the solution is as I could see it being rather disruptive to have people leaving the room to pass gas. Especially if it is more then one person. It could also be slightly embarrassing for people to leave the room briefly if everyone knows why. I have had a similar situation in a yoga class. The thing is, it was the positions that usually created a "surprise" and there was no real way to avoid it. While I can understand your discomfort in the situation and it sounds pretty terrible, I can't think of any class situations where you would see people excusing themselves to pass gas.

I am pretty sure people don't know when they are going to "pass gas.' It happens, and not on purpose, unless you are an adolescent boy and enjoy making fart noises. Why would you single out someone for a natural bodily function? Deal with it, it doesn't stay around for long, or change where you stand at the barre to avoid standing near the farters.

Hahahaha..... sorry but I am finding this humorous! there must be a lot of people with bad diets in your class!

I have never seen (smelled) this happen except for once with a lady who was not very personally aware.

On a more serious note, I am sorry you have to deal with this so frequently. I can sympathize as there is a man in one of my classes who doesn't appear to wash or use deodorant :( it can be very invasive and when it is also hot in class, it almost makes me want to leave!

• 1 month later...

I couldn't help laughing a little when I first read this, but I can see where it could cause some difficulties. Not sure if it's problem somewhat unique to adult ballet classes or if it's an issue in most all ballet classes, but regardless, I don't think there's much that can be done about it without offending the "perpetrators." Unfortunately, having to endure the occasional unwelcome bodily aroma is a risk in most all situations where physical exertion and perspiration are factors. Not a heck of a lot you can do about it, really, other than hold your breath for a bit and hope it doesn't continue!