Ballet Talk for Dancers

Hair for performance?

pasdedeuxmama

pasdedeuxmama

What do other boys do with hair to keep it neat and tidy during a performance? My son has very fine hair that tends toward the 'rumpled' look ordinarily. How do we keep it looking nice for our Nutcracker shows?

HuckleberryDawg

We just use a little mousse after he showers and then a light amount of hair spray once he's at the theater. He has thick hair that doesn't want to stay in place; but using the mousse/hairspray combination seems to be enough. Thank goodness we don't have to put the boys in ringlets. ;-)

There are some leave in conditioners which tame unruly locks which depending on your boy may be well accepted :)

pasdedeuxmama

I am very thankful we don't have ringlet requirements :D! We will try both of these this week. We've tried styling wax with zero success - it just makes it more rumpled (a look he'll appreciate in his 20s). Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
dancingboymom

I second the mousse and hairspray method. I do my sons hair after his shower, while it is still damp. We bring a brush and hairspray to the theatre for touch ups.

I prefer a "paste" type product. Sebastian molding mud, Crew pomade or molding clay, there are lots out there and it gives a nice amount of hold without looking like the old "aqua net" helmet.

• 4 weeks later...

Coming in a bit late here but the girls at my son's studio have decided that they love to do his hair for performances!!

There are only two guys at our studio who are serious about ballet so they have quite the female fan club!! My son has found that he leaves his hair wet and the girls figure out how it looks best and what products to use in it when he gets to the dressing room. I have quite a few pictures and videos the girls have taken through the years of him having his hair done by the girls!

I do know through this process he has discovered some products that he likes better than others!

• 2 weeks later...
pasdedeuxmama

We ended up getting a fairly conservative trim 2 weeks before the performance (usually he wears the top a little longer) and using a light hairspray to keep it from being too mobile. It definitely wasn't a helmet, but held pretty well.

I put CHI (liquid silk stuff) in damp hair and blow dry. Keeps it natural but not fly away or messy.