Ballet Talk for Dancers

Turnout in releve/tendu

swan#7

I have decent turnout-right leg is pretty close to flat, left leg not so much because it is more hyperextended, so I only recently fixed my weight placement issues.

Anyway, I've noticed many dancers have enough rotation to almost hide their knee and show all of their foot. This is not the best example, but I can't link to instagram. http://www.networkdance.com/Yvonne-Slingerland-Cosialls (you have to press the tendu second slide in this link)

The same thing in releve: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/489766528196712139/

I can't rotate my leg outward like that, so this may seem kind of pointless because it is obvious that I just don't have that ROM- but my turnout isn't bad, and I can rotate pretty well. For example, I can almost completely hide my heel in a 90 degree fondu devant. So I don't know why my turnout doesn't look good in the other positions. I've been told 180 turnout is very rare, but if it is, how can so many people do this?

Hello swan#7. I am finding your discussion difficult to follow. I believe you are asking something about the rotation of the legs in the hips sockets. In the first link the young lady is not rotating her supporting leg until the arabesque photo where she is falling completely sideways toward her supporting side. Not exactly examples I would use show good turn out nor placement of the body over the leg. Both sides of the body must be in use, counter balancing one another. It looks as if the young lady in the photos could stand up better but her objectives are just a bit different from what is considered good placement and rotation.

• Administrators

Agree, vrs. And the second link shows a photo that is just plain bizarre...almost a characture. Not a good example of anything except just weirdness created for an ad. :shrug:

They were the only things I could find because I can't link to instagram (where I've seen many good examples). Ciaravola's picture shows her knees almost hidden and her feet turned forward so you can see the arch because of her turnout. What I'm asking is-I have pretty good turnout, but my feet/knees do not look that rotated out. I've seen many people who seem to be able to turn out their leg like that, but wouldn't this mean they have perfect turnout, which is very rare?

Additional question: What's wrong with the flat arabesque picture that was included in the first link?

• Administrators

The number of people with "perfect" rotation would probably be somewhat equivalent to the number with perfect pitch. Both are rare. Professional dancers will look like they have "perfect" turnout because of how hard they have worked to learn to use what they have exceptionally well. That is what good training will do, if the dancer has good rotation to start with, along all the other things that create a dancer. :)

The dancer is falling to her supporting side rather than maintaining her waistline and shoulders square over her support leg and hips.

I have some pictures I took in the beginning of the year. The last two pictures are what I mean-my knees aren't rotated out completely, so you can't see the arch jn my feet. I know dancers are very good at presenting themselves to look like they have better turnout, but my main question is that it seems many dancers are able to rotate their knees completely and it's not the angling. I'm just kind of frustrated, because I think my turnout is decent but I just can't get the look of completely rotated legs, while many other seem to be able to. http://ballettalkpics.tumblr.com

And Happy Holidays!

I can see the arch in your feet. I can also see how you're sitting into your hips, not lifted off, and focusing too much on your arch rather than on your placement. You are also rolling too far over en pointe.

I think you would have lovely rotation and lovely feet if you focused more on placement! The best photo out of the bunch is the barefoot relevé one, though again, if the focus was on liftoff and stretching and straightening your legs, actively engaging the muscles, the photo would be that much better!

Take a few more thinking about those things, and stress less about your feet, ok?

I kin of feel like my post has been misunderstood but anyway-I've gotten corrections about weight placement, but not really sitting. Do I just imagine lengething and pulling up? Also, my shoes were very soft and basically had no support within 3 classes so I know they were beyond dead when I took the pictures.

I'm sorry- I didn't mean to misunderstand!

However, dancers can always work and learn more about their art form! I hope I never get to the place (no danger of that anytime soon! :P) where I think I can't learn anything more about dance!

Let me see if I can help: "Dead shoes make you "sit" on them"- This is to some degree, a myth! Most professional ballet companies require "dead" shoes for corps work. We should be able to pull ourselves up and out of any correctly fitting shoe- regardless of how dead it is. Having said that, for a dancer-in-training, there does get to be a place where shoes become un-wearable out of concern for safety. Professional dancers too, retire their shoes once they have truly become un-wearable.

Back to your question: I wish I could retrain young dancer's "eye" for ballet. It's all about perception. Artistic Directors, Ballet Masters and Mistresses and educated teachers are looking for sometimes vastly different things than what young dancers *think* they want. Sometimes young dancers think that an overarched pointe is what ballet is all about- but that's a myth. Yes, it's true that ballet requires a certain type of foot that has an arch, but ballet is not always looking for a foot that resembles a comma at the expense of good technique.

I guess, what I'm trying to say to you is that you're enough, just the way you are. Continue to grow, learn, and improve, but be careful not to go for extremes when it is not necessary. If a person is born that way with all of those extremes I'm talking about, they still need to work and have something to offer besides a pretty arch.

As far as how to work on not sitting into our hips, we have to understand how the abdominal belt supports the upper body. This post may help: It's in the Adult Ballet Students board and it's a sticky titled, "Sticky: Clara 76's post on Alignment"

Thank you for the information! The post was actually really helpful, and I'll probably have to read it again because I had so much trouble sith weight placement and a tilted pelvis. I didn't know companies required dead shoes! I think maybe my definition of a dead shoe is little bit different. I can't imagine a corps dancer dancing in shoes like that-my teacher told me I was going to break an ankle with them!