Ballet Talk for Dancers

Summer Intensive Question

ballet.bunny

Although I will be auditioning this year as a 16 year old, right before many summer intensives I turn 17 (I am a junior this year). I've been reading different things, and I've heard it said that at this age it is important to go to a summer intensive with company affiliation. However, I am currently at a pre-pro school affiliated with a company and am getting great training year-round. I don't necessarily want to go to a big summer intensive this year--many of the ones I am interested in this year are smaller, and also shorter. In your opinion, how important is it at this age to go to a company-associated program?

• Administrators

That depends on if you are looking to open up other doors for the future or not. If you plan to stay where you are, and think that you will have a position there, then it would not be so important to go to a company school. However, I do feel that at your age you should attend a full length program, not a short one.

Thank you for your quick reply! :) I'm guessing the ideal length would be longer than 3 weeks... ?