Ballet Talk for Dancers

Summer intensive audition - Sooner or later?

jdancer13

(Quick note: Not sure if this is the right forum for this question but I figure since Im a guy it wouldnt hurt to post here)

Hi everybody

I know most ballet students are probably on winter break (with dance and school), and I myself am feeling a little stressed out right now. Why? Well auditions for summer intensives are literally 2 weeks away and Im scared that being out of dance for so long will hurt my chance of getting into the intensive I want to this year.

Before winter break my turns were coming along (I love my turns) but now I feel like once I step back in class theyre not going to be that great anymore. Any advice? The school (big name company) I was going to audition for is a 2 hour drive away and I was questioning if it would be better to audition earlier in their tour or towards the end of the tour (since theyre having two auditions at their facility).My classes start up again on Jan 6th and I have until the 12th for my audition. If I audition sooner I might not do as good and if I audition later I might be better with my technique. However, I feel that if I audition later all their spots may be filled (worst case scenario). THANKS!!

• Administrators

Jdancer13, I think you can stop worrying and just go to that audition on the 12th! After all, everyone else has also been on break, and the auditioners have been too, and they are dancer/teachers, so they understand that you have only had a few classes. Also, you really do have a week of classes, and that should be just fine to get you ready for the auditions. :)

What Ms. Leigh said is very true! I also am in the same situation, and have been trying to keep in shape by doing a 'workout' everyday. The could vary from just stretching/strengthening, to working on my core and back muscles, or even doing a small barre in my room!

I've been worrying about summer intensives too... I'm thinking of auditioning for one on the 26. It's kind of far away, and I'm not sure but I feel like it would be really competitive and that I wouldn't be ready. I've been dancing for eleven years and take class five days a week, but I'm still feeling insecure. Advice?

All dancers feel insecure, so move on from that! Just take your classes, keep up whatever your regimen is, and go do that audition!

I've been worrying about summer intensives too... I'm thinking of auditioning for one on the 26. It's kind of far away, and I'm not sure but I feel like it would be really competitive and that I wouldn't be ready. I've been dancing for eleven years and take class five days a week, but I'm still feeling insecure. Advice?

I guess we'll never know until we try! My advice to you is that since its on the 26th just take as many classes as you can. Prepare yourself for the worst but keep your head high! Everything happens for a reason, but know that you can always learn something positive from every experience. Just breathe and have fun. Remember that you love ballet and sometimes things dont always go according to plan. Good luck, train hard, and have fun. (: