Ballet Talk for Dancers

Residential Schools?

My husband met a couple on a plane recently and their grand daughter goes to a residential school in Idylwild, CA. They told him that there are only 7 residential schools in the US. Can that be true?

I tried to do a google search but it got quite confusing and I wondered if someone here could clue me in?

• Administrators

Harid, Kirov Academy, NCSA, Walnut Hill, Nutmeg, Interlochen, Idylwild Academy. Have I forgotten any?

• Administrators

Yes, I think Rock has a residential program, but not sure about Bossov, in terms of housing and academics.

South Carolina Governors School has a very fine modern program. The director, Josee Garant is one of the best modern teachers I know. She is magnificent. I am not sure they take students outside of S. Carolina though! I could be incorrect. Does anyone know?

Technically, the SC Governor's School is for residents of the state of SC only. However, I personally know of many out of state students, particularly in the dance department. Exactly how they were able to get around that requirement though, I do not know. I would also add that the academics at the school are top notch. It was recently ranked as the 59th best high school in the nation.

The Rock does have a residential school. My granddaughter's close friend, a dancer at their year round school, is training at The Rock's residential program. I can't give any first hand info other than that she is indeed in their year round program.

Fascinating! Somehow I assumed there were more than that.

San Francisco wasn't mentioned, they don't have a residence program? Where would an under age(-18) student live if the family was not there?

I don't think SFB has an academic component in place, which is one of the criteria we use to define a 'residential program'----i.e., one that has not only ballet training, but an academic program in place, along with a housing component in place. If one has to create one or more of these components on their own, then the program is not a true 'residential program'.