Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pronated Big Toe -- Any help or advice...??

Ludmilla

I've resisted posting this as I feel embarrassed to have an issue like this. I am thankfully, considerably ache and pain-, and injury-free.

But in the past couple of months, I notice in class by the time of the final grand allegro, that the large joint connecting one my foot's big toe and foot on just one side - i.e. one foot's large joint on the inside of the foot - feels sore and tender.

It doesn't prevent me from doing anything -- so far, thank goodness. it lasts a few hours after class and then virtually disappears well before my next class. A bit odd perhaps, but wiggling my toes pretty actively after class seems to calm that joint down somewhat so it can relax and shrink down just a bit (it feels a bit inflamed, is one way I might describe it -- a bit tender and sore, till it calms down.)

However it is a sign of something happening in class, I have no doubt. (I've checked out my walking shoes; could one of them be tight, etc. and ruled out other causes.) I've had to reconcile myself that there are two likely causes: 1) at barre, I tend to bump this particular foot into my other foot or leg just briefly, at times, by mistake; 2) I may be (and probably am) pronating that large toe and joint, when doing rond de jamb par terre, or tendu derriere. I am not conscious of doing this but because of the soreness, I think it must be occurring.

Now I find I have a "complex" about it and it has become a pesky nuisance. (I am worried about hitting this joint on the floor or against my other foot, etc. and it makes me feel as though that particular foot is twice as big as the other foot............ :blush: ), (psychologically -- not literally!), which causes me to feel foolish and rather upset.

Sorry if this sounds like self-pity or hypochondria, but I am so unused to injury (again, just lucky given the number of classes, as an adult student, I take).

What I am asking here is for advice or comment, on some interim measures -- I've thought of putting a bandage of some kind on that joint, to shield it from getting hit, or as a reminder to be more careful in staying "on the road" w/ foot movements at barre - or to remind me not to pronate......?

I read an interesting current threat here at BT about tendu derriere, which I may not grasp fully, however, it did prompt me to think that maybe part of the cause of this is tendu derriere, when bringing the foot forward through 1st that I am pushing the toe - especially that large joint, into the floor............? :bash: Again, not meaning to do so....!

This is not a fun subject. And it is not debilitating -- yet. But having this happen nearly every class eventually from a bit of reading i have done, will certainly put me at risk of a bunion - something I would greatly like to avoid! I've read a lot (some here at BT) about pronating and bunions, so I am not asking for information such as why it happens or technical anatomical reasons, etc.....

Rather, I thought I might send this out there, and see if folks have some comments/may be aware of this type of thing, and any strategies to avoid it; bandage it in the meantime, if that makes any difference? tips on using this foot differently (I have no such thing at all on the other foot!) to prevent this bothersome cycle...... ? Thank you, in advance! :shrug:

PS - I am only in ballet soft shoes -- don't do pointe work at all........

Hey You! How's it going? Please remove, etc. if not OK, (to take a stab at answering my own question) but I have a few ideas for you........Do you remember some time ago when a teacher corrected you, and specifically you, about not landing big jumps on your instep, but rather, through your toes? Hello!

Your question mentions feeling the tenderness/soreness after a large jump on that particular side (that you are having trouble w/) - i.e. by the end of class. Soooooo -- Watch it! Land going through the toes and the ###### of your feet - the pads. Really pay attention to this -- and at the barre, don't crash your toe into your other leg or the floor! See?

(Anyway, I really don't think the problem is chiefly at the barre but more in the later part of class when jumping begins.)

I could be wrong about that, but awareness is the first step. It requires more awareness and attentiveness to being careful, using your feet more correctly - and NEVER smash your big toe into the floor! Be careful with rond de jamb par terre or tendu derriere, to be a bit more gentle perhaps in bringing your foot back in to 1st from the back. Bring that big toe in, sliding it along the floor on the bottom and ball of the foot, not putting pressure on that large joint against the floor.

There. These are certainly worth a try.

(Ahhhhh. That big toe joint feels better already, having some solutions to work on......... Thanks, L!)