Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
jamesballet

RAD advanced 1 boys syllabus class London ??

jamesballet

Hi everyone...i have just passed.my intermediate and am looking forward to learning the advanced 1 make syllabus work. The problem is apart from private classes, i cannot find anyone offering classes in London....does anyone know of any? Thanks for help! James

Doubleturn

What about at the RAD itself in Battersea?

Rubber Legs

Hi James,

Well done in passing your intermediates.I am practicing for RAD grade 6 and I too have found little support for males in the higher grades.Hamorah sent me a PM on here last year in reply to my post asking if anyone knew of grade 6 DVD/videos.It maybe helpful for you to contact her to see if she can advise you.

Regards,

Paul.

jamesballet

Hi paul. Thanks for message :)how do i contact hamorah? Thanks again!!

James

jamesballet

HI doubleturn... RAD dont offer male syllabus :-(

Rubber Legs

Click on members near the top of the page James and select H.You will soon find Hamorah in alphabetical order.

Paul.

Rubber Legs

Hi James,

Because you are a new member on here you cannot contact Hamorah and she cannot post on the Mens forum.Hamorah has very kindly wrote to me and suggested I should copy and paste her reply here for you to read.

Regards,

Paul.

Hi Rubber Legs - I only just noticed the post in which you suggested to James that he PM me, but as a new member he won't be able to and I can't post on the Mens Forum. I thought perhaps if I write to you, you could copy and paste my suggestions. I'm afraid I don't think that there's much he can do unless he can afford private lessons. The problem is that after Intermediate, the male and female syllabi are quite different, so they cannot realistically be taught together. There probably is a DVD of the male Advanced 1 and they are not changing it, unlike the present female syllabus, which will not be examined after this year. He could try learning the syllabus from that, whilst taking non-syllabus or female syllabus lessons on the equivalent level. Ask him if he has spoken to his current teacher on the possibility of private coaching. If he is able to continue classes at the same school, the teacher might be willing to coach him once a week. I worked with my male student on the Adv 1 in my free time and we usually managed a 2 hour session once a week. If there are no other boys on that level in the school, there is really no other choice. The vocational schools only offer one syllabus class a week and that is enough, as long as you are getting strong advanced training at the same time.

It might be useful to phone the academy headquarters and speak to someone in Examinations - possibly they might be able to suggest something. He could also try contacting Central School of Ballet - they used to have special boys classes on a saturday in which they taught the syllabus,as part of their Associate programme, but I have no idea if they still do. I'm afraid good training for male students is hard to come by, out of the framework of a vocational school. Best of luck to him and you!