Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pirouettes on the left troubles

Lexballet

I can do clean doubles and sometimes triples en pointe to my right, but when i go to the left I sometimes have trouble with even singles! It is very discouraging :ermm: I can do doubles on flat to my left however. I feel like I can't stay up to get around for a full two turns en pointe. Any advice? :)

• Administrators

Just keep working on them, Lexballet! Everyone has a better side, and needs to put in extra work on the weaker side.

Maybe you should give yourself a pirouette challenge! What I do is I tell myself that every time I practice a pirouette on the right, I have to do one on the left. So, when I want to pirouette around the house, I am not training only one side! It can be hard to remember to do this all the time, but if you work at it you may see some improvements. :happy::)

• Administrators

Actually, it would be better to do 2 left pirouettes for every one to the right. :) One needs to work harder on the weaker side.

Make sure your prep is correct, and that your weight is being distributed correctly. I used to have the same issue. With the help of this tip and a turn board, I fixed my turns too:)

I have a similar issue. My actual turns are ok, but I feel as if I can never land them, especially to the left. I've got solid triples on flat and pointe to the right but, like you, I find myself having trouble completing singles or doubles to the left. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on landing my turns. Thanks!

• Administrators

We have tons of topics here on all the ingredients in creating pirouettes, including "landing" them. One of the problems may me the word "landing" itself, which indicates coming down. One does not come down from a pirouette, one must continue lifting upwards and keep the weight over the supporting leg as the retiré goes to 5th or 4th, or wherever it is going. You have to think of the end of the turn as the highest point, and don't even think about coming "down"! It's all about alignment and weight placement, which are totally essential to control.

Be aware that almost everyone has a stronger side for everything, but that just means that you have to work twice as hard on the weaker side. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the reply. I have been working super hard on the left side and I have tried to do as you have said, by lifting up. I really think that this will help. Last night, I actually did four pirouettes and landed in arabesque :)

• 1 month later...

For the past few months my pirouettes have become outrageously bad on the left- and all at once seemingly for no reason! And the best part is, when I'm en pointe, this seems to reverse. I turn generally better en pointe (probably because there is less friction and the small box forces you to be on balance), and turn better to the left than the right (again, only en pointe).

Any ideas why this is?

In general I think there seems to be a mental issue in this as well. It's as if I've grown scared of turning on the left on flat. Advice is much appreciated :sweating:

• Administrators

You have answered your own question, tobeaballerina. :) We all have a better side, but it's not unusual for the "better" side to be different on any given day. So, you have a few bad days on the left side pirouettes and then you get scared of them and of course when we are afraid of something out body automatically holds back. So, the weight is back and the turns don't work, and it becomes a "thing". Voila! Mental issue. :wink:

Go back in the studio by yourself and start from a-b-c. Find your alignment/balance point/control zone in 4th position, then in retiré, then in retiré on relevé. Do it over and over, not just once or twice. When you start feeling that your center is solid on relevé, then start with 1/4 turns. When solid, go to 1/2, then 1, etc.

I like to play a game with myself where if I do 5 perfect singles in a row I go on to doubles. If I do 5 perfect doubles in a row I go on to triples etc.

I don't usually get past the triples though. Hahah

• 2 weeks later...

I am better on my left leg. I can do doubles on both legs but on my left leg I can sometimes do a triple, its the same on pointe. :nixweiss: