Ballet Talk for Dancers

Bent Leg

aspirant_dancer

Hi, everyone!

I am new to Ballet Talk and I wanted to ask a question that nobody seems to be able to answer for me. I have always had bent legs, but now that I'm growing a lot, it seems even more noticeable than before. When I stand on the center barre in class, I can see very clearly that the backs of my legs are not straight. I always stretch my legs as much as I can, and yet they are still bent. My teachers always correct me on it, but I feel as if I cannot do anything about it! I am doing an exercise to correct the issue, but I was wondering if anyone had any pointers or advice on this subject. Thanks! :happy:

• Administrators

Aspirant, it sounds like you might have hypoextended legs. This means that the knees just do not travel all the way to straight. Do this for me....sit on the floor with your legs out straight in front of you. Use your theraband around the ball of the foot and pull it so that your foot is fully flexed upward. When doing that, can you completely straighten your knee to where it even looks straight?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the quick reply and my apologies for the late answer. Yes, my legs look much straighter when doing my TheraBand exercises, but in my side develope, for example, my leg looks very bent, and I feel as if I cannot straighten it. I think that my strength may be the issue, and if that is the case, do you know of anything I can do to help this problem?

• Administrators

Will it straighten to the side in a dégagé? How about at 60 degrees? At what point is it not yet straight?

• Administrators

Okay, so work on it in increments. If you are well aligned and placed, and your leg in your control zone for à la seconde, take it to where it is straight. Then try a little bit higher, like a few inches, not jumping from 60 to 90. If it is still straight, a few more inches. It will take time and patience. But an à la seconde with a bent knee is no more acceptable that a turned in leg or sickled foot! You can't sacrifice any those things for extension.

Yes, I understand what you mean. It has gotten a lot better, but to be honest, I'm probably just impatient :wink: Hopefully I will get my long legs under control eventually. Thank you for the advice!!!