Ballet Talk for Dancers
harrussell

Boy Starting At 16

harrussell

Ok, so over the past 2 years I've slowly gotten more interested in dance and more specifically ballet, and I starting taking an RAD Intermediate Foundation class in New Zealand around October last year, and I took that until about beginning of December and that's when my family and I moved back to the US. So now we're staying with my Aunt and Uncle in a little town in Vermont, and the only dance school is a small school about half an hour away, where next week I'm going to start taking a teen ballet class and an intermediate ballet and a teen contemporary class. If, when I start classes I find out I'm really into it, is it too late to start training to become a professional dancer? If so what would I have to start doing? I'm a sophomore in high school right now, and it's too late to audition for a summer intensive anywhere, and I was also looking at full time winter term at School of American Ballet but I'm really not sure. Thanks.

GTLS Designs

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers harrussell!!!

There is a higher percentage of females to males in ballet, thus the potential for males to become professionals in the field is higher. Because of this, males are also able to start ballet in older ages and still have the possibility to dance professionally.

With all of that said, lets not put the cart before the horse here. First you need to get into a ballet class.... and like it. Then the school where you are taking classes needs to offer a high caliber of technique classes. Of course, then you must have a decent facility for ballet: body proportions, flexibility, nice feet, musicality, and coordination (just to name a few). After all of that falls into play... maybe you can audition for a Summer Intensive (in 2015).

I wouldn't put your sights on SAB right now. That is the cream of the crop of dancers who have all the things listed above PLUS many years of training. Sure, there are exceptions to the rule, but at this time it is probably best to take this one step at a time.

The very worst that could happen? You only end up liking ballet as a recreational activity - and there is nothing wrong with that. Ballet can be done way into your later years of life (I had a 98 year old lady in my Adult Classes). The path will shows its way as soon as you start to take it.

harrussell

Thanks for the info! I think I'm just so excited about starting that I got a little ahead of myself, haha. If once I start, are those 2 classes a week enough? That's only 2 hours of ballet and 1 of contemporary. Thank you!

silvergreydancer

harrussell,

Congratulaton on you entry into an exciting art! A couple of things you might find helpful.

# of Classes

Two, one hour classes are probably not enought to move your technique along. Although, more(15 classes for example) isn't always better! I've been told that even with a good physical facility it take 10 years of good training to make a professional dancer and that is at a good school.

Pro carreer

Depends on what you have, how you hone it and what level of company you would like to work for.

SI

There are a lot of SI out there. The top SI probably are full but It doesn't hurt to check around. Check out the Bossov Academy in Maine. Make a few calls. You can also check Pointe Magazine for a listing of summer intensive. If you really want to do this. I suggest you start calling around. Also Check out the CPYB. (Central Pennsilvania Youth Ballet)

GTLS Designs gave you some good info. Pay attention to it.

I'm grew up in Vermont! You don't say where you live North or South? Perhaps I could give you other training suggestions.

Good luck on your journey!

GTLS Designs

harrussell - I meant to post this a couple days ago, and it slipped my mind...

Here are age/training guidelines: http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=58306 . Note: these are guidelines, not rules, as there are many roads to Rome. However, what this does show is how much work goes into becoming a professional.

I hope your first class(es) are going well.