Ballet Talk for Dancers
pgo

Online Videos: Symphonic Variations (1946)

ascballerina

This is really neat! From the video description:

This newly discovered silent colour amateur footage from the BFI National Archive shows the rehearsal for Frederick Ashton's first performance of Symphonic Variations, featuring dancers Henry Danton, Margot Fonteyn, Moira Shearer and Gillian Lynne. The ballet has been described as "probably the most important ballet in British choreography".

I should note that there's either a low shutter speed or the film has deteriorated to the point that some parts have lost intermediate frames (probably a bit of both), creating truly amazing tours en l'air! :happy: (I didn't realise what was going on at first :P)

MelissaGA

Such an interesting look back. Have viewed footage from the same era before but not in color. The end seems a bit sped up, perhaps?

I find it easier to watch this sort of footage when I know the piece well enough to hear it in my head. As a result, after watching it with my teen dd, I pulled up more recent versions of Ashton's Symphonic Variations. Really no comparison to the original! We were both amazed at the differences and thankful to have seen the footage! Thanks so much for sharing