Ballet Talk for Dancers

Low range of motion of leg when it is behind

balletbroke

balletbroke

I am not quite sure how to describe this. My dd is 14. When kicking up her legs to the front either at the barre or while dancing her leg goes incredibly high. Even more so recently as she has become both stronger and more flexible. However when her leg goes behind it does not seem at all high, around 90 degrees. I have watched her in a duet and a group and it was obvious she seemed to have a smaller range of movement than the other girls. It is also apparant when she does split leaps, for example. The angle of this has definitely decreased, It looked like she was heading toward split leaps a year ago, now it looks out of her reach.

So I am intrigued, is it a flexibility thing. If so what is so inflexible? Hips or gluts? Could it be something else, such as strength or hip structure?

Does she have a longer torso than leg length?

balletbroke

I don't think so. She was always extremely leggy, but her torso has definitely grown recently. Though I think her overall proportions would be that she has long legs. I know there has been discussion in the past as to the ratio of leg to torso. However front on, her legs do look very long.

Ok. It is possible that something in the classwork has been working the wrong areas to support an arabesque. Or it could be that the teacher has not worked as much on arabesque, however, we do need to be careful with the spine because fractures can be the result of too much force, or trying to keep the hips "square"- basically, incorrect technique.

If she is at a well established, well known school, then I wouldn't fret about it. It will come and improve as she gets older. If she is not at a well established, well known school, then that may be another thing.

balletbroke

Thank Clara76. I wasn't sure what you meant about fractures. Do you mean forcing the position ? Hopefully she wouldn't be doing anything to force the movement.

Today I asked her teacher about it, I don't know why I didn't do that first. She basically said that she thought it was to do with weight placement. She said that her weight, especially head and neck were too far back and needed to be further over the ball of her foot. I am always amazed with ballet what the trained eye can see!

Excellent! I'm glad the teacher has some ideas to help.

Yes, spinal fractures from incorrect alignment combined with incorrect technique. I *doubt your child will have to worry about that, though, because her teacher is aware of the issue. :)