Ballet Talk for Dancers

Registering my amazement, is all

Guest Bill Mulkern

Guest Bill Mulkern

This message is for 2 Left Feet: You said recently that you are now taking six classes a week. On the other hand, you've only been taking any classes at all for a few months.

I think that's phenomenal! Boy, did you get hooked fast, or what?

Guest Ballerino

Ballet is like that. Extremely addictive.

I began not too long ago with a private class, to learn the basic positions and movements, the vocabulary. Within weeks,

I was ramping up to daily class, wherever I could find them, then back to back classes, studying videos, and I found myself taking

9 to 13 classes between my 1st and 2nd year.

I have backed off a bit now, but I do try to take class daily as much as possible, though life and knees get in the way ;)

Keep it up, daily class does wonders for technique and progress.

-Perseus

[ 04-20-2001: Message edited by: Ballerino ]

Guest DancingDoc

Hi guys!

I've been addicted to lots of things, ballet being one of them.

In fact, I used to take classes 5 nights and Saturday when I was in medical school. When I was a resident, if I couldn't get out of the hospital, I took my own classes (and I'm not the best ballet teacher) in my on-call room. While practicing Medicine, I took classes wearing a beeper. I gave up the active practice of Medicine (seeing patients) to take a 9 to 5 job (no beeper)...more time for classes. I gave up a high-profile, high-paying, lots of travel job for a job that allows me to take classes whenever.

When I owned a couple of horses, I used to take afternoon classes then rush to the stables to work them, occasionally in the dark! When the seasons changed, I switched the routine so I could take night classes.

Is ballet addictive...you bet it is! And I love it!

DancingDoc

Bill:

Yeah, I'm a shameless addict. But of all the addictions I've had before, I'll take ballet any day. One things for sure, it's cheaper than some addictions I've had.

Ballet is something I've always wanted to do, and I'm lucky to have the time and funds available to plow into it. That will change, but right now I'm having the time of my life. Only three months and I'm already in the intermediate classes at both school I attend. I'm pretty pleased with that.

I'm actually going to ramp up my activity at the end of May to get ready for the Richmond adult intensive. I'll add some swimming (I used to do masters level but stopped), and start taking longer classes to get ready for a full week of dance, dance, dance.

It's been a real life changing experience. I'm already looking to the future to see what I want to do with it. I'd like to get to the point I could teach one day. I'd enjoy that, especially working with adults.

Ed

Guest Ballerino
Originally posted by DancingDoc

When I owned a couple of horses, I used to take afternoon classes then rush to the stables to work them, occasionally in the dark! When the seasons changed, I switched the routine so I could take night classes.

Dancing Doc,

Things Equestrian are another one of my passions and addictions. Do you find that they help each other or work against each other? I was told my some teachers that riding would use the leg muscles in different ways, but I have not found any detriment yet, and both keep the back strong. I do know that I could not give up either...

-Perseus

I think I can bring a little to the horse discussion. Part of my time is necessarily spent in military equitation, which is like Western, only with jumps. If it's not something that you pursue at a professional or full-time amateur level, you should see no ill effects from riding to your ballet technique. Try running a saber course sometime, which is rather like a grand slalom course, except at the outside of every gate, you have to take a cut at a target! And then there are the figure-8s! :eek:

Guest Andrew

I think it's awesome that 2 left feet can take a lot of classes :) I think the more you take, the better you become and if you're in a studio and being observed you're less likely to develop bad habits, instead of trying to practice on your own (which I do but I work on more jazz/tap and things like that because I have the experience.) I think at first for sure this is important in ballet.

keep dancing,

Today you'd have thought I'd never set foot in a studio. My partner's been up sick the last few nights which means I've been up the last few nights as well. It caught up to me in class today. My brain and my body were just not talking to each other.

It made me realize another difinition of a ballet addict -- someone who has a bad class, his knees, feet and muscles sore from being worked, when he lies down in bed for a well deserved nap the first thing in his mind is his next class tomorrow morning. And, he's actually looking forward to it! :)

Guest Ballerino
Originally posted by Mel Johnson:

[QB]I think I can bring a little to the horse discussion. Part of my time is necessarily spent in military equitation, which is like Western, only with jumps. Try running a saber course sometime, which is rather like a grand slalom course, except at the outside of every gate, you have to take a cut at a target! And then there are the figure-8s! :eek:

Mel; Thanks for the input! Your military regime sounds exciting! I was trained in riding by a man from the an equestrian branch of the Spanish Military and an bullfighter on the side, we did some simulations, his horses were school for battle(!)...then I did some steelechasing, now I just ride for fun...ballet would have to come first. The injuries are kinder :)

2 left feet:

I hear you on the good class/bad class thing. What I love so about ballet is that tomorrow is another day/class...and a bad class is just that. I try to never dwell, just to learn form my mistakes and dance better the next day :)

-Perseus

Ballerino:

You are totally right. My Sunday classes were amazing. It's like Saturday never happened. I lef the studio feeling pretty darned good yesterday. :)

• 8 months later...

Damn, i am jaelos of you people!

The day I get the opportunity to take daily classes, Ill go paint the moon green and red! just watch it! the day its green and red, I got into a school in the capital!

tongue.gif

• 1 year later...

hehe..

I was reading some old posts, and came over this topic...

Well, im not yet in the capital, so i havent paintet the moon...

But hey, im taking classes everyday now!

Thanks to my teacher, that started a little company in my town where me and the other dancers that have ambitions can train and perform

Good, Henrik! :green:

I'm glad to hear that. Now that you can work every day, things will probably start happening much faster for you now. Keep up the good work!