Ballet Talk for Dancers
ballet valet

Pennsylvania Ballet's long time artistic chief leaving

ballet valet

Any additional information about this news about Roy Kaiser leaving? I read it in this PB news release dated 4/14/14. Any thoughts on a change in direction for the company?

www.paballet.org/tags/roy-kaiser

Victoria Leigh

Thank you, djeowmom. That is very exciting news!

sgmca

I think losing Roy Kaiser is a tremendous loss for PA Ballet.

ballet valet

I think it is interesting to read that Roy was considered more of a curator of Balanchine works and not a choreographer. Angel Corella recently closed his ballet company in Barcelona Spain claiming a lack of support from the government. Although it sounds like he is a brilliant dancer and choreographer, will it be hard to continue to present Balanchine's work when his own creativity is in competition?

dancingthrulife

Ballet Valet, interesting that Angel Corella closed his own ballet company because of lack of support from the government. With no government support for US companies, I hope he will be able to cultivate a strong donor base for PA Ballet.

ollieshadow

If my memory is correct, I don't think Corella closed his company. He established the first classical ballet company in Spain in 20 years which in 2012 moved to Barcelona and became Barcelona Ballet which has been very successful. I think this is an extremely positive selection for PA Ballet. I understand he was the top choice out of 30 for the position.

dancemaven

Sorry, a post was removed as it is against BT4D to link to personal blogs. Links must be to recognized publications, not blogs.

mom2

Here is a link to an article in the Spanish news, which essentially gives the information the poster was wanting to convey. Basically the article says that he is leaving Spain, and that he had to dissolve his company as the funding base was just not there. There's more - but my translation skills are rusty.

http://www.vanitatis.elconfidencial.com/noticias/2014-06-01/el-bailarin-angel-corella-se-va-de-espana-y-deja-de-bailar_139662/

ballet valet

Thanks djeowmom. Very nice article and more insightful!

pasdedeuxmama

That is exciting!

Balletwatcher

Very exciting! I can't wait to see the direction Angel Corella takes the Pennsylvania Ballet. Sounds like he has a lot of energy, for sure.

javamama

Looks very exciting and it will be interesting to see what develops from it!

ballet valet

WOW... huge news that several important members of Pennsylvania Ballet's staff were fired on Monday. The list includes: Jeffrey Gribler, Tamara Hadley, William DeGregory, Phil Juska and several other staff members. Amazing how quickly a new AD sweeps out the old.