Ballet Talk for Dancers
ballet valet

Pennsylvania Ballet's long time artistic chief leaving

Hendolvik

There has been quite a bit of grumbling since Corella took the helm. While he has certainly breathed new life into PA Ballet, he seems to be remaking it into his own image overnight. Almost every dancer he has hired since becoming AD was born and trained outside of the US, mostly Cuba. While PA Ballet definitely needed to improve its game and Corella clearly recognized it, he has upset many current PA Ballet dancers by not promoting more within the company, and not hiring other US-trained dancers. Given PA Ballet's Balanchine history, it is quite striking how quickly he is turning PA Ballet into a completely different company. In the end, this may be what PA Ballet needs to become a first-tier company.

Edited by Hendolvik

pasdedeuxmama

"His own image" equals what exactly? If you mean superstar, then I'm all for it.

I believe that one of Corella's mandates is to diversify the company. In my opinion, though I love to see the PA-born and bred dancers (even they are few and far between), this can only be a good thing. PA Ballet has been mini-NYCB for far too long and needs to establish its own brand. I'm really excited about the new season and seeing some of the performances when I come home.

Hendolvik

He has at least one hire who at first glance seemed like a sure thing but has proven to be a distaster. She has no stamina and her Don Q pas preview was abysmal. I was there. I saw it. It was embarrassing and a disgrace. While the audience didn't know better, every single dancer and ballet student saw her horrible fouettes and wondered what the heck was going on. Even the Executive Director of PA Ballet admitted to me that she was a mistake.

It is great that Corella wants to improve the company. But there are loyal PA ballet patrons who come to see certain dancers that have been passed over in favor of unknown new or guest dancers. Corella should tread more carefully and not be so quick to estrange his current employees and PA Ballet supporters.

MelissaGA

I think much of this was to be expected (not including the last post about a specific dancer I have not heard anything else about the preview). There is no way a new AD is going to make everyone happy, especially when it is an AD with such a different style. I assumed when he was hired that there was not only going to be a turnover in administrative employees but with the dancers as well. Those who could not adapt would be gone as soon as possible. I think it is a very delicate balance, perhaps an impossible balance, to maintain as there is no way that everyone will be happy with the changes that are made.

When Corella was first announced as the new AD, I had wondered what would become of the Balanchine rep that PA Ballet is so closely associated with. Living equidistant to NYC and Philly, I admit I would generally pick NYC (including NYCB) over PA Ballet and generally only went there for work I could not see in NYC. I am looking forward to gaining more reasons to go to see PA Ballet.

pasdedeuxmama

Hasn't every AD had a new hire not work out? Personally, I think anyone who got the job after Roy Kaiser was going to have a tough go of it. Roy was around so long that my age group was dancing with him. I think half a season does not a legacy make. I plan on waiting a while longer before passing judgment on how my home company survives the transition.

Clara 76

Firstly, sometimes an AD utilizes younger dancers at a preview to give them exposure and to offer them a chance to learn a role that they may not yet be completely ready for. I have no dog in this fight but I do think it's a little premature to be leveling judgments just yet.......