Ballet Talk for Dancers
Angie1272

Dropping in on other classes when you travel

Guest Pas de Quoi

Westside Ballet is a great school, with many class offerings for adults. It's been a while since I took class there but remember they were excellent.

deanlaur

The Dance Store is the best place for shoes in LA - their selection is pretty good, but the fitters are fantastic. I believe it's on Robertson. As for drop-in classes, Westside Ballet is the biggest game in town, but there are some other smaller studios that are great too. Where will you be staying?

ppixie

Awesome Thanks!! In Hollywood at a friends house... not sure of the exact location comparatively:)

deanlaur

I take classes at Media City Dance in Burbank and Anna Cheselka Center for Dance in Studio City. They're both a lot smaller than Westside, but they might be more convenient to Hollywood.

Anna Cheselka is tiny, but the teachers are really fantastic. http://www.annacheselkadance.com/News_and_Events.html

Media City is Russian based: http://www.mediacitydance.com/#!classes/cb3i

I've never taken at Westside, but everyone I know who does loves it. It's just too far for me :)

Bravo_Company

This has a name. It is called ballet tourism... try different classes, check out new dance wear stores and try on products unavailable to you otherwise, take in ballet performances, purchase ballet-related souvenirs and momentos, see amazing facilities, broaden your horizons, experience new music... like golf tourism but with tights!

Lots of places (schools, academies, studios) offer adult drop in classes to help them cover their fixed overhead costs like rent, taxes, etc. Companies give classes to the public to bring in supplemental revenues. I have been to classes offered by renown companies in several major cities, and can't wait to try some in New York, Paris, London, maybe one day in Russia too. A class I took in Seattle featured a live cellist, in a small studio in a heritage building, which was amazing.

In another city, I bought a $75 pass by which you get to try out any of the dozens of classes offered over a two week period. As I was only in town for 5 days, I took 2-3 classes per day, for 5 days, so it was like attending my own 'intensive'.

I used to be with the coast guard, so whenever I was travelling on vacation abroad, I would always stop by and visit the local coast guard station (every station is unique to their local territory: lake, river, ocean, harbour, etc.), so coast guard tourism. You learn a lot, what's same, what's different and why. You are welcomed as a fellow dancer/golfer/coastie who shares and speaks a universal language and love of whatever slice of life you happen to be connected with.

Some places don't offer drop in however, rather you have to enroll at the beginning of a series of sessions and the class is restricted. Other places let you drop in unenrolled if there is space and you are able to follow the class, by permission. Googling ahead of time and researching is very useful.

Edited by Bravo_Company

Lauren91

Thank you scuballerina! That is close to where we are staying. It's actually for my daughter. She wants to take a class, but is really nervous.

When I lived in France, I took class very often at the Centre de danse du Marais. It's wonderful, but not all of the teachers speak English! Ghislain de Compreignac speaks English really well, since he has spent some time in the United States. Yves Casati, who's an amazing teacher, speaks quite a bit of English. Frédéric Lazzarelli speaks some English, and Huguette Massin speaks no English. I don't know about any of the other ballet teachers.

Edited by Lauren91