Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet training

Hey I hope I am posting this on the right page. I currently train at a local ballet studio, but get great training. One of my teachers was formerly soloist at Houston Ballet and so on. I just do not get near enough training currently to get a job as a professional dancer (which I want more than anything). So I am wondering what are good year round schools that offer residence. Also I am wondering how easy it would be to get a scholarship to any of these programs. If I wanted to go to a program I would need either a really large scholarship or at least financial aid, so that is why I have not pursued a year round school before. Thanks guys!

• Administrators

Hello Patatina, and welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers! Can you tell us a bit more about you, and about your training? It would help to know your age, as well.

Ok so I am currently fifteen years old, but I am a grade ahead of my age. I have been dancing since I was about three, however, technically at that age I do not think it counted for me. I have a very wide range of excellent teachers that have danced in different companies. I have had teachers that taught RAD, Russian, and also Balanchine. I also get many classes a week in Horton, Modern, and also Jazz (but more of a how to put it, classic jazz. I do not do competitions). I dance every night of the week, but hours are somewhat limited because of school. I also dance with a contemporary company for the students at our school. We get many extra rehearsals all day on Saturdays and Sundays and many performance opportunities. My best dancing qualities are my strength and probably my performing. I have very flexible high arched feet, enhanced by much strengthening and stretching, I have a long neck, legs, and arms, I am also hypermoblie. I am very strong not much fat, but not the small "ballerina" frame. When I went to a contemporary masterclass the teacher said I have the ideal body for contemporary, but I am passionate about ballet.

• Administrators

Thank you for all of that info, Patatina! That is very helpful. There are several good programs which have been discussed here on the Residence and Pre Pro Schools forum. Have you checked out Harid, NCSA, Walnut Hill, Kirov, Nutmeg, and VA School of the Arts? There should be information there on scholarships, but be aware that even a tuition scholarship is still going to be very expensive in terms of room and board. Some of them require SI attendance to audition for the year round program, and some will accept by audition only. Have you attended any SI programs which have a year round program? If not, it might be a good idea to focus on auditioning for one or more of those programs for next summer.

Thanks for the info! And no I have not gone to a summer intensive yet. I have heard lots of good things about Harid, but like you said it is the room and board fees that are really expensive.

And also one of my teachers trained at VA school of the arts so I might ask her about her experience there.

• Administrators

Oh dear, I totally forgot that. Thank you, dancemaven.

HARID has a very nice financial aid pakage. One needs to apply for financial aid after being accepted. All students are on tuition free scholarships. The dormitory and administrative fees are $14,000.00 annually. This includes room/board/high school online academic schooling and local transportation. I would have to say that when comparing the cost of paying for a local ballet school that would provide 5 1/2 hours of dance education 5 days a week and 2 more hours on Saturdays, it is quite reasonable. Our graduates and alumni are members of most national and international ballet companies. We are a highly selective program with a wonderful return on the investment of time, energy and money.

Yes, I have no doubt that Harid's program is excellent and definetly . In fact, I am actually very interested and plan to audition for the summer intensive this upcoming year. I am just wondering if you could tell me what qualities are looked for in their persepective students besides technique? Thank you!

Our school, as with any highly selective school, chooses students with the potential for a career in classical ballet. We select students based on their potential physically, artistically and academically. Please visit our website at www.harid.edu/admissions-criteria/