Ballet Talk for Dancers
adam12

Searching...

adam12

Hi all, especially moderators

As a novice at terminology, I have to search a lot for terms I don't yet know.

I do this by using plain English terms and eventually I find a thread that is exactly like what I am looking for (or partly what I am looking for).

Then I use the terminology from that thread to either find what I am looking for, or do another iteration of searching.

Most of the time I eventually find what I am looking for.

I also use google as a tool to do this, because I can search the indexed BT4D pages much more efficiently using things like double-quotes ("), minus sign (-), etc.

The search engine that is embedded in BT4D works really well for a one-word search, but it doesn't seem to handle more complicated searches very well, especially when it comes to highlighting hits within threads.

Is it possible to improve the searching on the site? I would be happy to help implement something. I'm not familiar with the particular software the site uses, but I would guess there are probably quite a few options.

Thanks

Victoria Leigh

Adam, I wish there was, but I don't think there is anything we can do. The whole format of the site is set up Invisionzone. I can ask, but I'm guess it's out of our hands. :(

adam12

I just did a brief search on invisionzone. There is the ability for developers to create custom code of some sort.

I'll read up on it a bit more...

adam12

If this is the same "invisionzone" as BT4D (and I think it is), then it seems to have the capability to do a completely customized search and formatting, as specified here: http://www.invisionpower.com/support/guides/_/advanced-and-developers/application/application-extension-search-r52

I'm going to keep reading and see if I can try making something in a trial environment.

Victoria Leigh

That's fine with me, Adam. I do not have the capability to do that.

adam12

Is there a way I can get a copy of the files:

extensions/search/config.php

extensions/search/form.php

extensions/search/format.php

extensions/search/engines/sql.php

extensions/search/engines/sphinx.php

?

Is there some way I can ask questions like this without cluttering up the board?

Victoria Leigh

No, Adam, there is not. Sorry. I think we will need to live with what we have for now.

adam12

OK. let me know if you change your mind