• 5 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Redbookish

• txstudent

• Megaton

I drive an hour each way.  It's only once a week until I can set-up a carpool.  I am in a small, rural town so I don't consider the miles until I'm "down off the farm".  In that case, it's only 15 minutes.  

• 1 year later...
GiselleJuliet

It'll take me about 35-40 minutes, one way, to my class tomorrow. There's one that's closer, but I hate the class times! 

• 2 months later...

Hi 

I travel 20 to 25 minutes by car depending on traffic to my classes I take classes 5 days a week for a total of 7 hours a week.

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Like so many others, i live in a small town that is two to three hours away from the likes of Seattle, Spokane, and Portland.  I enjoy my addition to ballet classes, so on Mondays i drive 65 minutes each way for an adult 75 minute class.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays a studio 10 minutes away has an adult class, where  generally I am one of just three students.  I was beginning to think I was too nuts to make the long trek for Monday's classes, but am encouraged to see that others do the same.  On Mondays I get to dance with 10-14 others in a bit larger studio, and I think it helps me to get acclimated to different teaching approaches and styles.  I also take my gear with me whenever I travel so I can jump into classes when I can find them.  

• 1 month later...
insidesoloist

I love ballet, and I miss taking class regularly, but I don't currently have any decent classes within 45 minutes of me, and unfortunately, 30 minutes each way seems to be the point at which I chafe about the drive being too long.  As a working mum, I just don't often feel I can take 3 hours away from home/the family very often.  And it's not like there's anything for my family to do at/near the studio, so it's really just me going alone.  I wish very much that my house had any space at all in which I could give myself barre, but -- trust me -- we do not.  As a former dancer/teacher, I just can't bear to take class at the one place within a half hour, where they charge full price, but class isn't a full hour and a half, the floor is terrible, the teacher doesn't give exercises in the proper order, she doesn't use correct terminology for things, and she makes people bourrée on demi-pointe for ridiculously long periods of time.  If I were single -- or even just childless -- I'd be happy to drive an hour for class, take some time in the coffee shop nearby, and then come home.  But knowing the family/dishes/laundry/dog/errands are waiting for me, it's just too much.  I very much miss my old house, where I had an attic with 8x10 feet of useable space, a barre set up permanently, and well-worn marley on my floor.  I could take one spare hour or so a day and at least give myself barre on busy days.

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a whinge!  Does anyone else struggle with this?

Insidesoloist, I SO hear you!  That’s not my exact situation right now, but it’s been very close at times.

Do you have a gym nearby with a fitness studio?  You’d have to time your visits right, but having access to that space during non-class times might be worth the price of a membership.  

And, if you can, I think you should schedule days (even once a week or once a month) to treat yourself to that far away class! 

Chasse Away

Hi insidesoloist,

I totally feel your pain about the 1-hour classes that charge full price and are of the worst quality! It’s a shame these business are profiting of this, their poor students don’t even know what a ballet class is supposed to be. I’ve taken a few classes like this when times were desperate, and it is always not worth it.

I wish there was a way to rent out spaces in these studios and hire a teacher yourself, and then other students could join you for a proper ballet class that’s like a full 2 hour. 

You said you are in a relationship? Can you work out a deal with your partner? They do all the house/kids stuff Monday Wednesday and you do it Tuesday Thursday for example? Then you have 2 nights to go to dance, and the weekends and Fridays free for you all to do stuff together?