Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
st0ut717

Christmas present for wife

st0ut717

Ok my wife just resumed ballet a month ago and on the learning curve I am on is steep. She really did not like the Swiss Army knife I got her for Valentine's Day.

Ok so what does a ballet dancer need want? And please be precise . I have zero knowledge of dance

I was thinking a bag from caprezio as a start.

gsmom

What about tickets to the ballet? :)

MelissaGA

I think tickets to see a ballet would be the ultimate.

You could add to that perhaps books about/by famous ballerinas- "Holding on to the Air" an autobiography by Suzanne Farrell, "Dancing on My Grave" by Gelsey Kirkland, "Life In Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina" by Misty Copeland. Also "Apollo's Angels" by Jennifer Homans is a great in depth history of ballet. There's a little search box for Amazon at the bottom of this page. If you end up buying a book or anything on Amazon, you can use that and this site gets a tiny percentage.

gav

I agree with the others -- books and tickets would be better gifts than "gear" because people tend to have very personal/individual opinions about dance clothes, bags, etc.

Hamorah

If there are no ballet performances in your area, there are loads of wonderful DVDs of ballet. You could either get her one of those (if you know what ballets she likes) or give her a voucher for Amazon, so she can choose for herself.

st0ut717

I actually have the benefit of 2 ballet companies in the area. The Boston ballet and the festival ballet company in providence.

Hmmmm ok ballet theme coffee cup with tickets inside !! Thanks For the advise. Lady of camalias is play in the spring :)

Knowing what ballet she likes. Ouch . Please remember that I am VERY new to the ballet world. I just found out there where more than 2. (Nut cracker and swan lake).

Claude_Catastrophique

You could give her a gift card from Capezio so that she can shop there herself what she likes. Why didn't she like the Swiss Army knife? It's great to work pointe shoes...maybe she isn't on pointe yet and did not recognize the value of it yet ;-)

st0ut717

Ummm. I am a Boy Scout leader and my son is an avid Boy Scout and daughter is an Girl Scout. I think getting her a SAK was overload.

"Really how many of these do we need around here!?!"

LaFilleSylphide

Boston Ballet is an excellent company, and if they have a classical program available, I am almost certain she would love to have tickets! Careful with the contemporary though... not all ballet dancers are fans of contemporary ballet, though of course many are. I personally love getting accessories and gear from my husband, but he knows very well what I like. I once got a Repetto bag from him (which Repetto is not very widespread in the US), and I was over the moon with joy!

There are many dance brands (not necessarily bags) that you can look at so you can attempt to find something unique and fitting for her preferences (as you know them anyway). Capezio, Natalie, Bloch, Mirella, Gaynor Minden, Sansha, Grishko. Getting into the more upper end ones you might find Repetto, Dimensione Danza, Chacott, Degas, Freed, KD Dance.

BlleFille

If I were your wife, I would love you forever if you gave me, in order of importance and perhaps all three!!!!

1. Ballet classes.. a gift card of classes for the school she loves

2. A Discount Dance voucher so she could buy her own gear

3. Tickets to Swan Lake/ Cinderella/ Giselle etc..

The bag is a nice idea too... but I love to choose my own stuff ;)

PS you are an awesome hubby!!!!!

st0ut717

Is Lady of the Camellias family appropriate?

i.e can i take my 9 yo daughter and 12 yo son to this?

I know some Broadway shows can get pretty risque this would be my first ballet i attend so I am not sure if this should be a date night or family event.

Kini

Kids might get bored as the last time I saw it it ran for close to two hours but I would say it's very family safe.

Nice choice.

st0ut717

Thanks for the link :) yes definitely tame enough for my kids. Now now lets not get upset about prostitution. not every girl get to be a ballerina . As a matter of fact there a motely crue song all about non-ballerina dancers :)