Ballet Talk for Dancers
Kini

Is it rude ask to a man's age?

silvergreydancer

Dance esp. Ballet is consider a young peoples undertaking. Hell I'm 63. Hope you can do this when your 63! LOL

AndrewUK

I have been asked in the past by parents of a girl I partnered in a performance we did, at the time she was only 17 , so I think in this case understandable for her parents to ask the question as I was about double her age, so I think in situations where they are "older" guys in a class then some parents will want to know who is in her class and ages etc, seeing how and unsafe world we live in at present. So I have no problem in this context with someone asking, maybe "on the street" would be different

Redbookish

Hope you can do this when you're 63!

Yes, that's what I think when I'm in class with the skinny beautiful 17 year olds!

Kini

Wow forgotten about this thread. AndrewUK funny how your experience paralleled mine, the parents that were asking me were all from teens in a partnering class that I help in. One parent in particular was worried that I would be doing the spring showcase with her daughter. She actually got so concerned that she came out and asked me if I would be in the performance and the relief was all to obvious when I reminded her that I was in that class to help and had no desire to perform on the stage with the kids. (Another adult sure but I teenager? Nope no way, too uncomfortable)

AndrewUK

Yes your right Kini "uncomfortable" is the right word. I started back at class again yesterday ( muscles in legs objecting big time this morning !!) with not doing a class since about last Sept/Oct some of those there then, have left and new ones started, there are now 3 girls around the 15-16 mark, the rest of the girls maybe 18 to mid twenties with 3 guys, one is the young guy mentions in another Thread - Height , the other maybe mid/late twenties and me. Like you Kini I would have no desire to perform on stage with these younger girls, but in the class then it "felt" alright last night, the three of them seemed very mature for their age, good dancers too I might add !, so age did not seem to matter much, see how it goes on Friday as doing two classes a week now to try get back into shape and technique again, (all there last night will be there on Friday)