Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
a.sparkly.gem

Hello from LA!

a.sparkly.gem

Hi!

I'm new to the forum and wanted to see if there are other people in the Los Angeles area here! I'm a ballet super newbie, having less than a year under my belt. No prior dance experience either :)

Say hello or feel feel to send me threads that may be useful. I'm particularly interested in strengthening exercises, turn out tips (of course!), improving flexibility and how to get extensions over 45* ;) Being a former athlete, I'm doing the best with the strength but, but ballet requires strong muscles I didn't even know existed!

And I am on the pointe path...thanks to a lovely instructor :)

Thanks everyone!

Edited by a.sparkly.gem

nutmeg

Welcome! I'm from Southern California (although not LA). It sounds like you have the ballet bug! :clapping:

tinyzinnia

Hi sparkly, and welcome to the world of ballet. :clapping: I'm also from L.A.! I don't know if I'm allowed to post this (I think it's okay as long as it's not a link?), but I really recommend professional dancer Kathryn Morgan's blog for turnout and foot strengthening exercises. In terms of exercises I think it's always good to learn in person or from a video because the possibility of misunderstanding is just too great otherwise.

Redbookish

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, sparkly.gem. I hope you'll find lots of useful advice AND good company here.

Daydreamer

Hi, a.sparkly.gem! I'm not in LA, yet, but may be moving there in a couple of months. If so, I will have a lot of questions for you and tinyzinnia about ballet classes there! :)

a.sparkly.gem

Hi, a.sparkly.gem! I'm not in LA, yet, but may be moving there in a couple of months. If so, I will have a lot of questions for you and tinyzinnia about ballet classes there! :)

Awesome! Let me know when you make the move!

a.sparkly.gem

Hi sparkly, and welcome to the world of ballet. :clapping: I'm also from L.A.! I don't know if I'm allowed to post this (I think it's okay as long as it's not a link?), but I really recommend professional dancer Kathryn Morgan's blog for turnout and foot strengthening exercises. In terms of exercises I think it's always good to learn in person or from a video because the possibility of misunderstanding is just too great otherwise.

Thank you for the suggestion - I am now following her blog and her youtube channel - she's great!

tinyzinnia

Glad to hear it was helpful! If someone has more questions, just ask away...