Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Kini

Coppelia audition

Kini

So my studio’s Nutcracker production is finished for the year, and all four performances where near sell outs (gasp). Just before rehearsals started in October the studio owner announced that he would be putting a full production of Coppelia for the spring. While I have known for quite a while that there would be open auditions what I didn’t realize was that it meant that they would be open to the adults also. I can’t believe that I’ve agreed to go with several if my classmates and audition. So next Saturday I will be paying my fee getting my number and auditioning for the first time in over 20 years. (I know there aren’t many parts open to me but heck I can shoot for the moon and hope for the good doctor.) :wink:

morninglorie

That is awesome! I'm crossing my fingers for you :clapping:

LaFilleSylphide

Way cool! Let us know if you get a role!

Kini

Forgotten how much adrenalin an audition can produce. Probably won't hear anything until after winter break is over.

Already know that the part I auditioned for will be hired out :( The AD mentioned in class that he felt that Dr. Copellious is a very dynamic part and he is planning on hiring someone who he's used in the past that has a lot of experienced doing character parts.

Day before the auditions we were shown a video of Copellia that had Mazurkas in the first and third acts. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Kini

Finally found out that I have a couple of parts in our upcoming Coppelia production. Mazurka/Czárdás in the first act as well as the Duke and the coda générale in the finalale.

Not the part I was hoping for but hey this is the first major production outside of two years of Nutcracker I get to be in so I am HAPPY! :)

LaFilleSylphide

I love the mazurka though! What a beautifully preserved piece of character dance in classical ballet, and the costumes are fabulous!

Kini

I love the mazurka though! What a beautifully preserved piece of character dance in classical ballet, and the costumes are fabulous!

I've had a very small amount of character dance experience, like say last two summer SI's. :) Looking forward to the choreographer coming off of maternity leave so we can start learning.