Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Marjolein

Lack of classes rant

Marjolein

I havent taken class in a while, combination of no time, no money, and not wanting to for a while after some bad experiences last year(Im an MT performer but more singer/actress than dancer). Anyway, once a dancer always a dancer and Ive been itching to get back into class. And here comes the big frustration: in my entire city, there is exactly ONE open class a week! And I cant even take it every week, when I get a late shift at work I cant make it, and the rota is completely random. So if Im out of luck, I can only rarely go... And theres not a single other open class in the city...I can take an open tap class, Im trying out a jazz class so late it doesnt interfere with work next week, but theres literally only that one ballet class...

Hard to believe, isnt it, in a city thats also home of our Royal Ballet and Royal Ballet School... Its just frustrating. I want to get in shape again, and I have no options at all.

Claude_Catastrophique

I hear you Marjolein. I have the same problem. All classes available are crap or cost too much. It's driving me crazy.

Ludmilla

Marjolein - I know what you mean.......It seems as though open classes and for adults are so few. I hope you are able to find more, or some that work for you. I have found that some are actually "out there" that surprisingly don't advertise or do so where I would come across their ads and that I learned about coincidentally from other dance students, etc.

Good luck in finding what you need -

Marjolein

I ’d even for a bad class if I could get to one. But there simply aren’t any. I know every single ballet school in the city. Lots of them offer decent ballet classes, but one always needs to pay for an entire year which is not an option if you know you’re going to have to miss most classes.

Ludmilla

i know what you mean......if the only option is paying for an entire year, etc that is extremely hard for many adults and would be, for me.

I see you have checked high and low.........but possibly just a thought, if you check at some health clubs or other (not ballet) dance studios or other a bit unconventional places? Some health clubs may offer ballet, some other (not ballet) studios might have ballet........(but not really advertise it widely or very visibly). It is just a thought -- (I realize quality might be an issue......) But while i was looking for the class i finally found, i had found in the past, some unconventional places to discover a ballet class that were not a "ballet school" per se....... in my town some dance teachers have "day jobs" in offices, stores or other places due to the limited options to make a living as a dance teacher in my town, sometimes for their schedules they teach at venues like health clubs or other (ballroom, etc.) dance studios where I guess they rent space....

Also our local university has some pretty good ballet classes..... You have to enroll in the university or arrange to audit the class but still, if you are affiliated or have contacts possibly at a local college or university with a dance department, you might check there as well.... ? Just some possible ideas in case they might be of help -

Redbookish

Oh we hear you! I left a large city with an excellent adult ballet programme -- I could do 3-4 classes a week, plus jazz, Pilates, and contemporary. I live in a much smaller (much nicer!) city where I get 2 very basic classes plus a very easy contemporary class. I'm losing skills. But on the other hand, I'm 56 so maybe it's a nice way of easing me down. I go to the gym a lot more, & I do a lot more Pilates. But it's not ballet.

However, I'm lucky in that the studio I found here is run by a very good teacher, who is lovely. And I'm in awe of the way she gets absolute beginners moving and dancing. So I'm still learning, even if I haven't done grand allegro for months.

But yes, a lot of us understand exactly the problem.

lovedance82

That's a bummer!! While my area has a few more options they always seem to be at the times I'm teaching!

Guest Pas de Quoi

About once a week, I travel 45 minutes to take class at another studio.

Claude_Catastrophique

Same problem here. No classes (or if there are classes, then bad ones) and the few good ones are when I teach *sigh*. But there's hope. After summer I will try to get into classes for professional dancers (at a very stupid time but I think I could manage since my boss does not care when I work, just that the work is done)