Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
BlleFille

Teacher trouble

BlleFille

So most of my teachers are very supportive, encouraging and try to boost our self confidence.. all but one who seems to do that with everyone in class BUT me :(

Recently in class he was explaining a slightly complicated combination and then looked at me saying "Bellefille .. has like NO idea" or words to that effect to imply I was totally lost. That wasn't true and I actually did ok. In the same class he paid attention to/ complimented and corrected EVERONE but me (it was a very small class). When it was time to go across the floor, he mentioned EVERYONE'S name BUT mine to go in the first group.

It's not like I am horrifically bad in class... in fact I have improved greatly in the last couple of years since I have had class with him before. By the way, when I took his classes back then, it was the same deal; compliments for all but me, whether in the beginner or intermediate classes.

This makes me feel a bit worthless, left out and useless, though I am fine in this class and in fact always tend to do better when a teacher has confidence in me so when he leaves me out or seems to put me down, I actually tend to make mistakes or fail in a pirouette as I start to lose my confidence.

I also find it a little embarrassing :(

I don't have to go to his classes as there are other levels and other days I can go.

Any thoughts? Am I being too sensitive/ paranoid? I am thinking of changing my schedule to go on other days.

gav

I would stop going. Whether you're interpreting his actions/words correctly or not, you fortunately have other options. Sometimes two people just don't "fit". Maybe in time you'll give it another try and find the vibe completely different, or maybe not; in the mean time, spend the time in an environment you enjoy.

BlleFille

Thanks.. I will do :) My other teachers make me feel like anything is possible and that I am improving which is great!

Thanks for the advice.

Guest Pas de Quoi

Go on other days! This is your life, your time, your money. I have been dancing a very long time. I recently moved to a new state, and find classes at my level very rare. I signed up for classes in a city that required a 45 minute commute on a toll road. The teacher "phoned it in" big time. Gave basically the same combinations in every class, was 15 minutes late to every class, had her favorites, liked to tell us who she danced with and how many teaching opportunities she had elsewhere, and .... put me close to a support pole, next to the door, in the back of the room, in each and every class I took. Yes, she told all students where they should stand and in which group they should go, when traveling across the floor.

I finally decided enough is enough. Good decision on my part - the owner/teacher of the studio where I currently teach invited me to come to the morning advanced level classes. They are a 15 minute commute, free of charge to me as a studio teacher, and much better than the other classes I was taking.

Let us know how things go ....

BlleFille

Pas de Quoi, it seems like your situation now is way better :) So glad to hear you sorted it out!