Ballet Talk for Dancers
Oreo

Growth spurt question

Oreo

Hi everybody. At what age does a growth spurt happen? My son is 11, and while I wouldn't call him "fat", he is starting to develope a stomache and is getting broader through the chest and shoulders, but is not growing taller. He was rejected from one SI and "waitlisted" for another. We still have more coming up. I don't know if it is his age, or that they are thinking he is too heavy. He has been training for a number of years and people say he has potential, but I am starting to think, if he doesn't grow, we need to find another thing for him to focus on. He tells me he " is the same height or taller as the other boys at his middle school", but when he goes into auditions he is with boys who tower over him, and the ones who don't are super skinny. Anyone else have experience with this? Thanks for any opinions.

mln

Dear Oreo,

Forum participants can't give medical advice, as I'm sure you know, so I'll just tell you what my son experienced.

DS always gained noticeable weight before his growth spurts. At 11, my son looked heftier than other ballet boys.

Because he had longer legs and a shorter torso, any weight around the middle really showed. When he ate pizza before

class, you could practically see the slice! He also had really broad shoulders before adolescence. Now, at an adult height (though perhaps still growing), he looks muscular but slim.

And yes, at certain times in pre- and early adolescence, I felt like my son's growth patterns were compromising his dancing, either because he

was at a heavier stage or because he was at a taller, slimmer stage and was having trouble recovering flexibility and balance. I just

had to wait patiently and not worry too much about my son's potential.

But make sure you ask his doctor at your next appointment for advice. I'm sure you'll hear that the weight is a normal part of growing.

Regarding summer intensives, not that many accept 11-year-olds, and the few I can think of that do are pretty competitive. I bet that

next year, he will have more luck. You should check the summer intensive threads and try to target programs that take a lot of younger

boys. It might not be too late to do that this year, if you have the energy.

Good luck!

pasdedeuxmama

I can tell you that my 12.5 year old son still hasn't had his growth spurt either. He's getting a little tired of kids his age being so much bigger than he is! I keep reassuring him that it will happen...

Boydancermom

Our just turned 14 year old still hasn't really had his growth spurt.....his triplet sisters tower over him. ;-)

CeliB

My DS went to USA just after his 14th birthday, when I visited him at christmas of that year he was an inch shorter than me still (much to his chagrin)- I am 5 foot 7.

By the time he came back in the summer he was delighted to be taller than me, and by the time he hit 16 a year later he was 6 foot. He is now (at 17) a half to an inch taller still.

He was also whippety though as all boys in my family are so afraid no experience of that kind of see saw (though have seen it happen with other kids)

Oreo

All your advice greatly appreciated. What the 2nd poster stated about "pizza showing around his midsection immediately after" is exactly what's happening. My father, (my son's grandfather) is 6'2'' and and very slim, so I keep hoping eventually the genetic pool will take over.

Clara 76

He's only 11!!!!! Being waitlisted or not accepted might be more about his young age than anything else. Don't bring anything up to him about his "pizza". He'll be fine.

DobbinsND

As a parent of two boys, I can totally relate. My oldest son is 18 and DS is 15. They were both late bloomers. When oldest son was13, he was shorter than me (and I am 5'2"). He had a friend who was bigger than all the other boys in his class. That boy towered over everyone and everyone assumed he would be tall because his parents were both tall. That boy stopped growing at 5'10". My oldest son is still growing (although much more slowly now), and he's 5'11". The biggest growth spurt for him happened between 15 and 16. DS was such a little guy at 13. He's 15 now and 5'9". I know he'll grow a few more inches and probably end up being 6'. It's difficult to predict exactly when the growth spurt will happen because some boys hit adolescence at 12 and others at 15. Also, both my boys were always slim, but I remember a boy in DS's class who was stocky - as you are describing at age 13. Now he's 15 and the quarterback of the football team, with a slim, muscular physique. I wouldn't fret about your boy's physical stature at age 11. There will be so many changes between now and age 16. As long as he gets plenty of exercise (and our dancing boys certainly do!), he isn't likely to have a weight problem.

dinkalina

While my kids are not like this, I have noticed other people's children seem to expand through the middle right before they have a spurt in height. Once the height spurt is complete, they lose the tummy. I think its completely normal if that's what your genes dictate.

FabFoursMom

My DS (13 at the end of January) had a major growth spurt this past year. He grew just over 6 inches. He now stands at 5'10 1/2 inches. This has been a hard year on him with adjusting to the rapid growth. Everytime he would finally gain back his flexibility or get use to the length of his limbs he would grow again. DS has a very high metabolism and he work very hard to maintain a healthy weight versus being underweight for his height. My friends DS (11/almost 12) is completely opposite. He puts on 5# in his middle and grows an inch.

Thyme

As the mother of a 16 yo DS who is now 6'3" this is all so familiar. Sigh. Of all the things we can control and manage as parents, this is the one we just have to sit back and watch. Thank goodness dancers come in many sizes now or a lot of us would be out on our ear (or at least our sons would be). Oreo- don't worry. Our ballet boys have enough on their plates to deal with- he will be beautiful and strong regardless of his silhouette. :clapping:

abbey

Eleven seems so very young to me! Many summer programs don't typically accept kids under the age of 12 anyway -- and honestly, I think there's benefit to letting 10 and 11 yo boys (who generally develop a couple of years behind the girls of the same age) engage in other activities over the summer anyway. I promise, the coming years will hold *lots* of hours of ballet! He won't be "behind" if he swims and plays baseball this year!

I also think that boys usually grow in fits and spurts, maybe putting on a little weight here or getting so skinny they look awkward or struggle to maintain enough stamina through longer classes there... Pretty much any time from 11 to 20 (depending on the individual) can see them in an awkward phase between the balance that will ultimately come (assuming decent nutrition and hard work).

I think the best you can do is weigh his love of ballet and the body types of his male relatives... Then just keep feeding him well and encouraging his hard work. Don't judge based on what his body looks like at one particular moment in time -- it's going to change pretty radically in the coming years.

momtoemandel

My son got chubby at age 10 before his first big growth spurt. He seems to grow constantly now and while he is trim, he is pretty muscular.

Aussiedancemum

My son has always been on the stockier side. He’s an active little guy who is pretty much always dancing, swimming or playing soccer but he also loves his food. He’s started to notice that ballet dancers don’t have ‘tummies’ which worries me. He’s only 10  - we talk about strong healthy bodies that can do the things we want and need them to do.

SonDoesDance

My son is 11, short and somewhat stocky. Because he does alot of strength training (push ups, squats, heel stretches) he's also noticeably musclar which adds to his stockyness. On top of that he has a tush. A couple weeks ago he asked if there was anything he could do to slim his back area because when he looks in the mirror  he doesn't see the straight lines that his friends have.. I just keep telling him that once he gets his growth spurt everything will elongate and line up as it should, and that he just needs to let his body work it out. Easier said than done of course... I'm secretly hoping he has a tiny spurt this summer just so HE can feel some stress relief over it.