Ballet Talk for Dancers
Pinkytoes

Coaching

Pinkytoes

I was wondering if a local trend I am seeing with more of the serious students having regular private lessons, beyond YAGP preparation, is widespread. I live in a major east coast city. If you utilize coaching, what is the frequency and how did you select the coach? I am also interested to understand how coaching may have been beneficial to the process of obtaining a trainee or apprentice position.

GTLS Designs

Pinkytoes - Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, we are so glad that you found us!!

We'd love to know more about your dancer, such as: how old are they, how many hours of ballet do they take a day/week, and how long have they been on pointe. This will give us a better idea in how to guide your journey through ballet. Please stop by the Welcome Forum and introduce yourself. :flowers:

Additionally, you can check out one our our pinned threads about training guidelines: http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=54926. In general we don't believe in private coaching as a sole way to train a dancer, but can be used to work on technical issues that a dancer is struggling with in class.... and of course things like YAGP or other performances.

buzzandmoo

pinkytoes, living also on the east coast US I see the same phenomenon. I had originally thought the trend was confined to smaller studios where advanced students couldn't get the training, but I have realized that over the last 5 years that there are DK's at big name schools who regularly see someone for both privates and extra classes. :nixweiss: Perhaps they feel it gives an advantage? We are a "as needed" family. The only time we have sought out privates was to fix a specific problem.

And welcome!

FabFoursMom

DD had just turned 11 when she asked for weekly private lessons with one of her teachers to work more intensely on fixing technique issues. DS (DD's twin) was 12 when he asked for private lessons. At first they wanted to work together as they push each other, they then requested separate lessons. From time to time they will work together in privates, but mostly they use that time to specifically work on their own agenda and since they are 2 different dancers they has 2 different needs. Had DD not asked, we would not have done them other than in the summer when they did a group private (3girls/1boy) to "get in an extra class" a week.

Edited by FabFoursMom

ballonne mama

We too do them only as needed, and at a minimum at that, for yagp. But, we are in the minority for sure. The trend has been growing in my area for weekly, year-around privates. And many of the yagp-crazed families have their kids do 3-4 per week in the last 4-6 weeks before yagp.

Our syllabus and regular training schedule is rigorous and averages over 20 hours per week. So, personally, I think it's bizarre. My DD loves ballet and wants to do this for the marathon- not the sprint. So, I don't want her to put that much wear-and-tear on her body unless it is necessary for a problem or for a couple/few months to prep for a couple yagp variations. A couple families started the trend and others have jumped on board. Maybe they are afraid their kids won't the same advantage as others...? I find myself more afraid of injuries. If my DD works hard in class the rest should come along as she passes through the program. I have noticed we are in a rapidly shrinking minority.

camercad

We only did a limited number of privates last summer when DD decided to forego SI last year, which was combined with solo variation prep (non YAGP competition, we're taking baby steps). Her studio is closed during July, so it helped her keep her training going during the time. I couldn't imagine how to fit it in during regular school season.

Pensive

DD did private coaching this year for YAGP and had a hard time finding studio time because of all of the Nutcracker rehearsals taking up studio space/time from September through December. Plus money is an issue for us. It would be lovely, though, to have an hour a week for private coaching!

AdagioMom

We are asked "not" to do private lessons/coaching (at our pre-pro school). I agree with others, it would be hard to squeeze it in and I would be concerned it would be overkill (more potential for injury and/or burnout). The people we have known who have done it on the sly, have not moved ahead in the program any faster-- so, other than some concentrated work on a specific problem area, I am not sure what the benefits are/would be.

Salmonpoint

It is very easy to get swept up in the private coaching of children - I am sorry to hear it has even affected dance, but I am not surprised. Tutoring to take academics at a higher level, private coaching to be more competitive at sports - it is a crazy game parents play. I try to remember to take a breath and step away, but honestly, it is hard to do. I am thankful that dd's studio offers private lessons only as needed to work on a specific issue.

chel

We have never done private lessons before but will be for a few weeks this summer. DS has had a huge growth spurt and seems to have lost his center of balance and is struggling with things he did well even a few months ago. Oue AD suggested a few sessions before the summer intensive so that he will be more comfortable in his "new" body and not be frustrated keeping up with his peers. I am hoping this will allow him to get the most out of the intensive experience.

FabFoursMom

My DS feels the same way with his body. He has grown a tremendous amount in the past 12-15 months and it has been very frustrating for him. He says the minute he figures out what to do with his crazy long limbs, he grows again and has to learn how to move them again. He made a comment today that he has not grown for the past 2 months and he is "anticipating" another "ridiculous" growth spurt. The joys of puberty!