Ballet Talk for Dancers

Role of teachers at competitions

Kiwiballet

Hello,

I have my first proper/major competition coming up, sort of a bit like YAGP but more prescreened with smaller numbers. I was wondering what is normal for teachers to do at this sort of thing, do they warm you up back stage etc, not come at all or just leave you to sort yourself out and watch from the audience? I'm the only one competing from my studio so feeling a little bit nervous so any advice is most welcome. Apologies if there is already a thread somewhere I did a search but didn't find anything that applied.

Thanks!

• Administrators

Monbro13, if you have a teacher who has been coaching you for this competition, it would be very good for her/him to be there with you. For YAGP teacher/coaches usually do accompany their students. Some of them warm them up before the competition, especially if there is no class first. And they are there to help you get ready for performing. If the competition is local, there should not be a problem, but if not, the teacher may not be able to get away for a trip, or be able to afford the trip. A lot of YAGP coaches have their travel and hotel expenses covered by the student. But things will vary at different competitions and in different situations. You need to discuss this with your teacher/coach.

Yes that was along the lines that we were thinking. As it is further away (requires a short flight) and spread over a few days with elimination rounds we were unsure if it was going to be worthwhile for the expensive/ hassle for her with only one pupil attending but it would be fantastic for the support and for her to see how I perform on stage after all the work she has put into it. She has offered to come (not letting us pay for her flight/accommodation) and left it up to us to decide which is why I was wondering what was the normal protocol. My teacher has been very very generous with coaching my variations for next to nothing and if she comes not charging anything for it so my family is just trying to understand this crazy ballet world and do the right thing as when someone has been this kind I'd hate to be a hassle by asking her to be there if it wasn't a necessity

Thanks for your help!

• Administrators

It is certainly helpful for her to be there, especially if it is your first competition. But I don't think she should have to bear all of the expense herself. I'm sure that some help from your family would be greatly appreciated.

Yes that was what we were thinking as it doesn't seem fair for her to bear the expense. Asides from flights and accommodation should she also be paid for time spent backstage, warming me up etc?

• Administrators

That is something you need to work out with her. When I have coached for YAGP I only expected help for flights and living expenses. The time with the student I considered part of my job.

Thanks for your help! Mum and I are going to met with her to nut all the details out which should hopefully clarify things a bit.