Ballet Talk for Dancers

bumping knees

Guest meowmix66

Guest meowmix66

When I do certain steps, such as tondues to the side, my teacher told me that I am hitting too hard when I close in first. I try to correct it, but everytime I close , my knees hit and I can't get my heels to touch when I'm in first position. This really bugs me in class. If I don't pull up in my legs, that's the only way my heels touch, but then my knees feel like they're bending.

• Administrators

Sounds like you have hyperextended knees, meowmix :D Some people with legs shaped this way need a little space between their heels in first position. Very little though, because if you exaggerate it, it pushes into the hyperextension and makes it worse. The knees should be straight, not bent, and if their is a small space there, when you are properly placed and have your body weight forward, then that is okay with most teachers. There are some teachers who insist on the heels touching, and if you have a teacher who is doing that, and not allowing for the hyperextension, then there is nothing you can do but slightly bend the knees. :)

Just be sure to bend them both equally!;)