Ballet Talk for Dancers
gerlonda

Best to be in San Francisco or a Surrounding County?

gerlonda

Hello All!

I have not been on this board in a LONG time, glad to be back.

I will be moving to the San Francisco Bay Area this summer (exactly what city is currently up in the air). I would like to take advantage of the ballet classes at Lines Ballet but I know Bay Area traffic can get crazy. People have been telling me to look at housing OUTSIDE of San Fran proper (like Alameda, Oakland, Berkeley, etc.).

My goal is to get to the 6PM ballet classes ON TIME. I'm thinking if I worked in San Fran proper (even if I lived in a surrounding county) it would be easier to go directly from work to Lines Ballet (avoiding traffic/ accidents going across the bridges at rush hour) in a timely fashion.

But then again, I am also the type of person who enjoys unwinding after work and exercising on my own right before ballet. Thus if I did not live in San Fran proper it would behoove me to work in the county where I lived so I could quickly get home, stretch, and then commute across the bridge to San Fran for class.

So I am just wondering about you guys' opinions (especially if you currently, or in the past, live in the Bay Area) on would it be better to already be in San Fran before class to get to class on time, or stretch before class and be a little more mentally/physically prepared????

Thanks all, I really need some advice ;')

millvillemurphs

Welcome back!

In addition to Lines, there are many other options for adults in the Bay Area. I don't know if you're aware, but San Francisco Ballet has started offering adult classes. Tues and Thurs mornings, which may not work for you if you're working during the day, but they're also doing a Friday evening class that could work for you. I've really been enjoying the drop-in classes at Berkeley Ballet Theater on weekend mornings (my DD and I drive over three hours one way to take them!). They have a full offering of weeknight adult classes too. We have found the adults in the weekend classes very welcoming and generous.

Good luck with your journey and decisions.

GTLS Designs

Living is SF proper is an expensive proposition. If you have one of the new tech jobs that are popping up in the city, then you can afford to live in the city, otherwise it is smart to live outside of the city and commute in. With that said, you will not have time to go home, then come back for class.... the commute in the Bay Area is very cumbersome... especially at rush hour.

Beyond Lines & SF Ballet, there is also Academy of Ballet SF in the Castro District which has classes starting at 6:30pm.

If you want to look at the South Bay/Peninsula there is Western Ballet in Mountain View that has adult classes Mon - Fri starting at 10am, and again in the evening starting at 6:30pm. In Palo Alto there is Zohar which has an array of ballet & jazz classes for mainly adult dancers at various times. There are other smaller studios in the Palo Alto/Mountain View area who also have adult classes: Cassand Ballet & Palo Alto Ballet School.

gerlonda

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I've been considering trying to find housing in Berkeley or (a fairly safe)... part of Oakland.

sita33

The East Bay is going to be sunnier by far in the summer, and people are generally more laid back and friendly. The BART is a breeze to take to & from the city. There are also carpool spots to catch a free ride into the city in the morning. (Close to Lake Merritt is one.)

You could also look for housing in foggy Daly City, or sublet something from a college student in SF who will be away for the summer.

Other places that offer open adult classes in the city are ODC (https://www.odcdance.org) and City Ballet (http://www.cityballetschool.org/#welcome).

Good luck!

Coco

The Glenview Area of Oakland also is close to two casual carpool pick up spots and along a transbay bus route, and the Rockridge area is very close to BART.

gerlonda

Oh thanks you all! This move is coming up fast & I'll take all the advice I can get.

gerlonda

Oh thx for the advice everyone! Summer will be here before I know it.

Over 50 dancer

Just like to add a plug for the Academy of Ballet in San Francisco. The best Adult classes! I started at 55 and this was the best - I cannot imagine a better way to get into ballet as an adult.

http://sfacademyofballet.com

BlleFille

Also there is a great new ballet company in South San Francisco called Bay Pointe Ballet. Wonderful adult classes with easy parking. I'd like to add that the peninsula is a great place to live and cheaper than the city; San Mateo, San Bruno, Millbrae, Brisbane, etc..

Bay Pointe Ballet offers opportunities for adults to perform also! I love it there. We have serious adult classes; beginner, intermediate, pointe, etc. which start at 6:30pm Monday through Thursday and 10 and 11:30 classes on Saturdays.

In fact I would be severely depressed if I could not go there anymore for any reason!