Ballet Talk for Dancers

Working too hard?

pirouettegirl123

All my teachers have said that I am a very hard worker, but I think I could work even harder. One of my teachers said that I sometimes work "too hard" but I don't know what that means. How do you know when you are working hard enough or too hard?

• Administrators

Well, if you not working hard enough then you would not be making any progress. If you are working too hard, you can get over tired and also fail to progress, and that could cause a lot of tension in your work. That would start with tight muscles, stiff upper body and port de bras, and gripping things which need to be released in order to move freely. Over working can also be over thinking, and trying too hard to be so perfect that you end preventing fluidity and freedom in your movements. So, working hard, with purpose and focus, intelligence, commitment, and loving what you are doing is very good, but it all has to be balanced with enough rest, a healthy diet, family, friends, life!

Momof3darling's signature line says it well..."Balance in everything ballet."

Thank you! My teachers said that I have improved, but sometimes my work is choppy and I have extremely tight calves (probably from adagio). The farther I go into each combination, the more tense I get.

• Administrators

Excess tension causes lots of problems, including choppy movement. Tight calves can be caused from gripping the toes, but more likely from not getting your heels down and using your demi plié well.

I am also respected by my teachers for my hard work. I have, though, noticed that I am very tense when I dance, and my teachers are always telling me I need to relax and enjoy myself more. The dean of my school said that she and my teachers will work with me on this next year as well as building more confidence. My suggestion with being too tense would be to remember that ballet is for fun, and it's about celebrating your body and what it can do. :)

• 8 months later...

Hello , I often work hard and sweat a lot, and I know that's normal but I sweat too much-can hydrating help reduce sweat and if so how much water should I drink a day? Thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong place--I didn't know where to ask.

• Administrators

Lilyballet, hydrating is important. I don't know that it reduces the sweating, but it is needed to replace the fluids you lose. Have you ever talked to a physician about the excess sweating? Sometimes this can be a medical problem.

• 2 weeks later...