Ballet Talk for Dancers

knuckling

Guest aeangel008

Guest aeangel008

hey everyone! well I just changed studios from a not so great one (technique wise) to an awesome studio with wood floors, a pianist, and huge rooms, any way at my old studio I guess my teacher never corrected me because all of this time I have been knuckling over!!:mad: and at my new studio my teacher always tells me "you should be on the pad behind the toe" and to stop knuckling?!! and its really hard to stop because I have been doing it the wrong way for the longest time! so if any one has any suggestions or exercises to help me to stop this habit please share them!! thanks so much...

Joelle

This is actually a technique question, and not a question specifically related to Pointe Shoes, so I am moving it to the Young Dancers 13-16 forum.

• Administrators

Joelle, are you talking about knuckling in a tendu, or when you are pointe? Or both? In either case, knuckling, or crunching the toes is NOT a good thing! If you are doing it in a tendu, then your body weight is not over your standing leg. In the front and side tendu only the tip of the toes touch the floor, lightly, with no pressure into the working leg at all. In the back only the inside edge of the big toe touches the floor, lightly, also no weight pressing into it.

On pointe one stands on the ends of the toes, which must remain straingt, not crunched under or knuckled! This is done by not allowing your body weight to press down into the shoes. You must lift the weight up and out of the shoes. You achieve this with practice at the barre, very basic elevés and relevés, slowly and correctly. Stay on two feet until you have the strength to get up correctly on one foot.

Guest aeangel008

I was talking about knuckling while en pointe...also I have bunions and I heard tha causes knuckling also but I'm not sure....and I am finding out that my pointe shoes are wearing out way quicker because of this..like right at the tip of the box is wearing out faster that the rest of the shoe and ends up not supporting me and Feels like my toe is going to break off....is there anything I can do to maybe make the pointe shoe harder in that area? I hope this is making sense...thanks in advance :)

Joelle

• Administrators

Joelle, knuckling on pointe happens because you are working incorrectly or are simply not strong enough to be on pointe. This also wears out the shoes very quickly and in the wrong place. If you are not strong enough to get up out of the shoe properly, then you should not be on pointe. If you are strong enough, and your teacher is very sure that you should be on pointe, then get a new pair of shoes, preferably with some advice from Ms. DeVor on the Pointe Shoe forum about what kind to get. You might need a stronger shank, a different vamp length, or whatever she says to help you get up in the shoe and down into it. But the most part of that comes from the work, not the shoe.

Guest Old Fashioned

Now, I'm wondering if knuckling is the same as pressing your toes against the sole of the shoe. I read in Schorer's Balanchine Technique that Mr. B preferred the look of curved toes, and I practice it sometimes. Is it really that bad for you?

• Administrators

Yes.

Guest aeangel008

yes, my ballet teacher has said I am strong enough to be on pointe and i have been on pointe for a year now and I was just brought to the attention that I was knuckling over...well I filled out the pointe shoe suggestion form and hopefully that will help..thanks for all of your help Ms. Leigh!!