Ballet Talk for Dancers
Kini

Dealing with disappointment

Kini

This is a selfish sounding rant but maybe it’s a familiar one.

So has anyone found a method that works for them that helps them get past the frustration and disappointment of getting a part in a local major production that literally could be and was done by the dads that bring their kinds into class. i.e no dance training just a breathing warm body to fill space so the ratio on stage looks good.

I am not a retired professional nor a advanced student but do hold my own in the advanced intermediate level classes so I know my left foot from my right, but am loosing the desire to keep up with my class hours knowing that any future productions will probably end up with me doing the same thing with untrained adult males. Be it Nutcracker, Copellia etc.

Garyecht

"So has anyone found a method that works for them that helps them get past the frustration and disappointment of getting a part in a local major production that literally could be and was done by the dads that bring their kinds into class. i.e no dance training just a breathing warm body to fill space so the ratio on stage looks good."

I call that being stage furniture. I fully understand that for many ballets you need people to be on stage and do a little acting. You get to wear a neat costume and be seen on stage. I know very good adult dancers who really enjoy doing it. I know inexperienced dancers who enjoy doing it. Personally, being stage furniture isn't my cup of tea. If I get asked to have a small acting role, I jump at the chance. But if it's stage furniture, that's different. I've never been asked to do that, however. If they did ask, I know I would say OK as I want to support the ballet company.

I think any time you are on stage you are important. I know when I am on stage I think that I am the single most important person there and that everyone is watching me, even if I am just standing still. There is something the great butoh dancer Tatsumi Hijikata said that I believe strongly. That is you should be able to dance with only your eyes. They don't teach that in ballet classes, but it's important. Know your role and do that and I think your frustration and disappointment will disappear.