Ballet Talk for Dancers

Importance of other dance forms?

Guest BBNButterscotch

Guest BBNButterscotch

I was wondering how important it is to study other forms of dance in addition to ballet. I am aiming to (one day) dance in the Corps de Ballet of my studio's small company. I currently only take Ballet/Pointe classes. The classes do involve a bit of charachter dancing. I know that a lot of dances study other forms of dance, such as tap, modern and jazz, but how important is that to my goal? Would it be advisable to study other forms of dance as well or is it better to continue with more ballet classes?

Thanks.

• Administrators

BBN, I think that having some work in modern and jazz is very helpful today, and makes for a more versatile dancer who can adapt to different choreographic styles. While you might not need anything more than ballet if you were only going to dance the classics, that is quite unrealistic in todays' world of ballet. The more contemporary works in the repertoire of most companies are often a mixture of classical, neoclassical, modern, and sometimes even jazz.

Ms. Leigh has given you great advice. I will add that Ballet itself is VERY competitive. Be a wise student.......do all you can to help yourself achieve your goals but also, remember that the goal you have (like my daughter's) is a long shot. Be well rounded, the more well rounded a dancer you are the more opportunities to do what you love........dance!!! That doesn't mean that the other idioms have to overshadow your ballet.........just enhance it!!!

missy:D