Ballet Talk for Dancers

Mens class attire

Guest Rebornbyballet

Guest Rebornbyballet

OK, here I go.....

This may have been discussed a thousand times before, but Ive not been part of it. Here it is.... What do you wear to an adults ballet class if you're a 36 year old guy not in the greatest of shape? Tights? Sweats? Jazz pants? Unitards?

Well I for one have no problem in wearing the men's ballet tights made by any of several different companies. But being rather pear shaped I noticed that they tend to work their way down my legs during class. So I switched to wearing a tank unitard, and what a difference!!!

So let's hear from the rest of you guys out there. What's your choice for your ballet classes?

PS

I can't help but notice that most of the women in my classes don't wear tights and leotards, just loose tee shirts and leggings, or shorts. I think it shows how serious you are, or are not towards ballet in how you dress for class.

This is one for your teacher; the best course of action is to follow the standard of your school. Ordinarily, I would insist on tights for students, but sometimes the culture shock is just too great for the adult guys. wink.gif

to quote my studio director:

"I'd rather have you IN class IN sweats, than not in class at all."

I wear tights to ballet class, and can't really imagine dancing in anything any warmer or more constrictive. However, they are a big stumbling block for some guys who are considering taking their first dance class.

P.S. if your tights sag, roll the waistband over a belt. Elastic is best, but I've seen some guys use web belts or even leather. Ever notice dance tights waistbands are a lot higher than yours? Pull em up as high as they'll go, wrap em over the belt as many times as possible to get them to sit properly over your hips.

I agree, just get to class. Who cares what you're wearing.

I will admit a personal belief that wearing the traditional attire is a sign of intent/respect for the discipline you're trying to learn. In my book, it's about the entire experience, not merely showing up and learning the steps. It's about respecting the teacher and learning an art form and how you dress is part of that. To me, the clothing is an extension of ones seriousness and respect for the process of learning the dance.

But, just go to class and forget what I think. It really doesn't matter so long as you're there and you're learning and enjoying yourself.

Guest Rebornbyballet

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not trying to be a radical in wearing a tank unitard to my ballet classes. I'm just trying to be comfortable, and show some respect. My teacher(s) do not mind me wearing my unitard. They've even suggested that I wear bike shorts, or something like that. I guess that alot of dance studios will really relax their normally strict dress codes to get adults, and especially guys into ballet. I'll never understand the fear that some guys (and gals to) have about wearing tights in a ballet class!! Going to a ballet class and not wanting to wear tights is like going on an ocean voyage, and being afraid of water!!!

Wear your unitard in good health; lots of guys are doing it. smile.gif And remember, on a cruise, you don't actually have to get INto the water unless you want to, in the swimming pool. wink.gif

Guest Wannabedancer

Hello everybody!! Sorry I've gone for so long, but I had a bad knee injury (not from my ballet classes though!!) that has kept me out of ballet for almost a year now.

In regard to the topic of men's ballet attire, I feel like the others have said above that it is important to "dress the part" if you are determined to study ballet. I also usually wear a tank, footed black unitard with a white tee shirt when I'm in class. On some occasions I have worn the "men's" tights made by Capezio. But I just feel more covered, and less exposed wearing the unitard. My teacher has no problem with it. But, since I'm the only guy in my ballet classes, they'd probably let me wear anything I like. But I feel strongly that you should show a good deal of respect by wearing what's required. I think very litle of any "dancer" who goes to a ballet class dressed like their going the beach, or some other place dressed in cut off jeans and oversized shirts. Yep, I've seen that in some of the other studio's I've taken lessons. I was shocked that the teacher allow it, but she did. More's the pitty!!!

Guest Andrew

I just feel like, when I see guys wearing sweats or other non traditional attire, it screams out "newbie" and draws attention to them a little negatively. I would ask if you could wear some black biker style shorts or runner's leggings (black) if you're uncomfortable with the tights. They're much thicker. As always though, it's best to check with the instructor on what's expected attire-wise. Andy

• 4 years later...
Guest yohan

I have been dancing for almost 10 years and the most comfortable thing for me to wear are long sleeve unitards to class. They just feel like a second skin and more comfortable then those baggy pants and sweats that some guys wear. My teachers really thanks me for wearing proper attire to class. They say it makes there job much easier. Which kind of cloth do you guys prefer nylon/lycra or cotton/lycra. Me I prefer nylon/lycra but it seems like most people prefer cotton.

Yohan:

I noticed you'r from Boston. I'll be in Boston Monday and Tuesday doing follow up interviews for the documentary I'm producing about adults who study ballet. If you're 30 or older, it would be great if you'd be willing to sit for a short interview.

I'll be at the downtown Boston Ballet studio Monday after 5PM and the Newton Boston Ballet studio Tuesday after 5PM.

Feel free to email me at isfilms@comcast.net if you want more information.

ED

• 1 month later...
Guest balletguy33
I have been dancing for almost 10 years and the most comfortable thing for me to wear are long sleeve unitards to class. They just feel like a second skin and more comfortable then those baggy pants and sweats that some guys wear. My teachers really thanks me for wearing proper attire to class. They say it makes there job much easier. Which kind of cloth do you guys prefer nylon/lycra or cotton/lycra. Me I prefer nylon/lycra but it seems like most people prefer cotton.

I prefer lycra more than cotton.

And my dance studio asks men to wear black tights white t and black shoes.

• 3 months later...

Well, once you've said pretty much all that can be said on a topic, and the information hasn't changed, then that's the self-limiting effect that threads have.

I understand that those who have been members here for several years are familiar with a lot of these topics, but its nice to "refresh" the topic for the benefit of newer members.

My favorite saying in class is "I'm so lost I don't even know which question to ask!" :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed. I've started dancing again, first time since I was 12. The class I've joined, just to get started again, is fairly informal and they said 'oh just wear track pants and a t shirt' so I did, but it was pretty poor as you cannot move properly and freely, so I've invested in black unitard. Wearing this to subsequent lessons is alot better!