Ballet Talk for Dancers

Clicking/Pinching Feeling in Shin

balletgilly3

For almost a week now, I have started to feel this weird pinching sensation at a certain spot on my left shin. It only hurts a tiny bit, and it mostly just feels strange. It only happens when I step on my left leg, or when I roll my ankle around. I was thinking that maybe it is a pinched nerve? Does anyone know how I can "heal" this or what it might be? I'm worried because my summer intensive starts next week, and I really don't want to have to take any time off before then...I still have one more performance this weekend.

Also, I'm not sure whether this should go here or in Cross Talk, so I just put it here

• Administrators

It's fine here, balletghillie3. The problem is that we cannot diagnose something like that. If it is preventing you from being able to work correctly in class and performance, then I would strongly suggest seeing a doctor if it goes on for several days.

OK, would you still suggest seeing a doctor even if it doesn't hurt very much? I can still do everything full out,it just comes with a little bit of pain. I will report back here after going to the doctor and let everyone know what it is just in case anyone experiences the same thing

• Administrators

If the pain has continued for several days I think it might be a good idea to see a doctor before it gets worse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Sorry to have to remove your first post, jskelley, but parents are not allowed to post on the YD forums. (But the YD's can't post on the Parents forums either! :) )

I've personally had an injury that I thought was in my shins, but it was in fact in the calf, a muscle called the periosteum. Does it hurt when you land from jumps as well? And is it in the inner part of your leg between the calf muscle and your shin bone? If it does, then it may be what I had. But it's hard to tell without actually knowing exactly where and what you're feeling. Any ideas on how it happened?

Edited by Victoria Leigh
Removed advice and corrected use of 'u' for you.
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, I just saw this. The problem is mostly resolved now, but it did resemble what you described. I have a problem with keeping my heels down while I jump so I'm pretty sure that is what caused it.