Ballet Talk for Dancers
isadora

Help! DD is quitting dance for good

swanchat

I just realized that your dd had hip issues. My dd's injury was to her hip, it looks like they are in the hip sisterhood. I truly feel her and your pain. Yes, they did both lost something that caused joy, brought success and made us beam proudly at their lovely performances. My dd is doing well in college now although she still has her "moments." Your dd can redefine herself as a teen. She's very brave to face her injury head-on and take care of herself! We can celebrate their resilience and we will all be fine!

Taradriver

A few months ago, I recollected to you all that I still had a brand new pair of DD's pointe shoes in their box. I do. But, upon unpacking in my new home this week, guess what I found? The last pair of pointe shoes she wore (tagged with that notation, mind you). She was helping me unpack when I found them. She took the shoes in her hands and held them reverently, said "I really loved ballet, Mom, thank you."

swanchat

What a sweetheart! Thank you for that lovely image! :wub:

Noodles

Taradriver, that was a lovely image...thank you for sharing!

Best of luck to all of you and your daughters and thank you for sharing these tough stories.

Momof3darlings

Be still my heart! Thank you for sharing. :wub:

Lady Elle

Well now I'm all teary!! Thats a lovely image. Bittersweet. Yes, thanks for sharing.

djeowmom

Taradriver ... thank you for sharing. Wow! Maybe that's what it's all about.

daisychain

Taradriver, your post made me cry. DD14 is still dedicated to dance, but she has an injury that has been causing us to reflect seriously about her future. She does love it so. We are grateful for the joy that is in the journey.

:flowers:

lsu

Well that was a tear jerker. You have a precious daughter Taradriver. What a special bond you have and thank you for sharing your journey with us.

mama2dancer

Adding my appreciation (and tears) for sharing that truly special moment, Taradriver. So beautiful!

gcwhitewater

I have a DS and DD. My son has been struggling with the decision of life after High School. He is gifted academically, as most successful ballet students are, and has been contemplating pursuing that instead of the push for a ballet career. Last night he finally made his decision to accept his academic scholarships and "retire" from ballet. I am not the least bit disappointed! While he loves ballet, he does not always love the "work". In my experience, you must love the "work" in order to be happy with a career long term. I think successful professionals find some strange satisfaction killing their bodies and waking up in pain most mornings...I know I did. So, onward and upward for my son. I am very proud of his work ethic and all he has accomplished with his training. I will miss working with him daily in the studio.

Now, my daughter??? She is determined to live the life and have a ballet career. So many variables, most of which she has no control over. That road will be much more difficult than my son's.

dancemaven

Congratulations and best wishes to your son and his new adventures, gcwhitewater!

pointy_ears

Isadora:

I shared your pain nearly six months ago and have come back a few times to see if you gave an update. I very much understand your heartbreak over your daughter's decision to not return to ballet.

My daughter decided in Ofotber - two months after starting high school - she was done. She honored her commitment through her company's winter show and on the night of her last performance cried her heart out, saying she'd made a mistake and wanted to go back. After a week passed and she attended her first cheer competition, ballet was no longer a thought in her head.

Since then, she flirted with the idea of taking privates with her favorite ballet teacher once a week, took one class, and then... Nothing. Just last week took down all her old pointe shoes that once hung over her bedroom windows, stating she was sick of seeing them. In other words: it was a long goodbye, but she is done.

I know it's her life and decision to make, but I vacillate between heartbreak and anger. I can't help but feel she is making such a huge mistake. She was truly talented and was so passionate and dedicated. Now she is all over the place and acts as if those ten years of ballet never existed. High school is the devil! Lol

Anyway, I wanted to once again offer my companionship to your feelings. Let us know how the ballet show went.

Hugs.

pointy_ears

Taradriver, that is beautiful. ?