Ballet Talk for Dancers
BlleFille

Class in Leotard SANS skirt?

Guest Pas de Quoi

Hi Tangerine: I agree with you 100%!

Redbookish

Can I ask people here: I've never worn a skirt in class. I was brought up in the pink tights/camisole leotard school. And my body is more "athletic" looking than sylph looking (I tend to look like a contemporary dancer dancing ballet). So I've generally gone with the minimalist look, although at 56 I like a 3/4 r long sleeve leotard as I carry too much flesh on my upper arms and upper back, and a dark leotard holds it all in and gives a nice line.

So, teachers and adult dancers, what is the technique advantage of a skirt? I wondered if it showed better how the hips work? I often wear an elastic belt, as it gives me a line for my waist (not a hip belt!) just wondering ... the skirts look very pretty, but I don't know why? Is it covering up or modesty?

Hamorah

I think skirts hide a multitude of sins and I do not allow my students to wear them except as a treat!

tangerinetwist

I wear skirts to hide all the effects of childbearing, a medication that has caused weight gain and my love of cooking. Generally my students do not wear skirts...I would much prefer a skirt to their choice and the allowances that my one studio makes to letting them wear bootie shorts any day.

BlleFille

I wear a skirt because I am curvy and it gives the illusion of a smoother line for dance. I have hips and a butt too and though not a big one necessarily, again it breaks my line. So I wear the skirt or shorts for modesty AND line, to answer your question. Also most leotards cut into my upper thigh area so they give a double butt effect which is not flattering. For this reason I prefer short unitards.

It also makes me feel prettier ;) If I was very straight up and down I might not wear it all the time. It would be nice to feel confident enough to go without as once or twice I have forgotten my skirt and needed (or felt I needed to) borrow a cover up. It's probably overly critical of me as I am pretty slim and fit but I am working on a new confidence about this :)

pasdedeuxmama

I had enough of tights and a leotard when I was a girl, and now I revel in the freedom to wear a T-shirt and shorts. I dance because I love it, and I'm a pretty large woman. That unitard and cape combo sounds pretty spectacular...

LaFilleSylphide

Yeah, I wish I had thought of cape before, but I imagine I wouldn't be able to work out pirouettes or turns with that thing flapping behind me (or all around me). I usually wear a skirt when I just want to hide how hippy I am. It's really for me, since no one else cares what I look like, but I do feel the same way about dancing in what I feel I look good in. I really do feel like I dance better when I look good too, and any little bit helps in my uncoordinated case!!!

If I don't like looking at my larger thighs and hips for the day, I'll wear a skirt! If I for some reason or the other feel like my thighs and hips look fine in the mirror, I'll go without. I also like frivolous dance fashion too. I am a total victim of the fancy designer leotard. Of course I like the basic stand-bys like a normal, solid colored, camisole leotard, but the prints and colors and mesh and custom options etc. etc. are just so fun and really have me addicted! I'm a sucker for those candy colored leotards. :D

pasdedeuxmama

Pas de Quoi, that story just made my day. Apparently we haven't cornered the market on 'unique' in NY!

diane

I, too, love that story! i cannot imagine that happening here in Germany!

-d-

Scuballerina

Hanging upside down WITH cape?

mrstrong_ballet

I just had a laugh-out-loud moment with the above story. Thank goodness I'm home alone while reading this. Definitely made my morning.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I started off with just plain leotard and tights, just because I was brought up that way. But recently I have taken to wearing skirts to make myself feel like I'm putting on a performance in every class.

doormouse

My first class back as an adult I wore black leggings and a t-shirt which came down to just above my knees. Moved on to black t-shirt and shorts with pink tights, then came to the conclusion that a black leo would actually cover my midriff which tended to be exposed with my arms in 5th!

These days I wear black leo and pink tights with shorts or skirt, and I generally wear a T-shirt over my leotard because I feel very uncomfortable about my upper body. I feel cripplingly self concious without it. But that is coming from inside my head, not from anyone else. People at my studio wear more or less whatever they like, regardless of their shape or size. Those who are 18-20 odd who have come stright from school and 'proper' classes tend to wear leo and tights more I guess, because its what they are used to.

I like a skirt because it covers my behind. Which is not, ahem, petite! The best discovery I have made in a long time is a Etsy shop which makes wrap-around ballet skirts to order, thus in sizes that are designed for humans! Ones bought from dance retailers tend not to be designed to accomodate a non-balanchine figure. The joy of having a wraparound skirt which actually crosses over in the middle (rather than leaving that unattractive gap across the crotch area!) and that is long enough to go over the curves so as not to end up being ridiculously short, is amazing!

Sparrow

My dance class here at school has a dress code of leotard (preferably black) and pink tights (though one classmate deviated by wearing a plum leotard and tan tights), though you could wear shorts or a skirt if you wanted to. I'm an older, returning student and, though I am very slender, I do have an area I am self conscious about below my belly button that has stuck out oddly since I recovered from surgery at the beginning of last year. Because of this "problem area," I knew that I would feel uncomfortable wearing just a leotard so I wore a skirt to free up my mind to concentrate on dance.

Now that I'm looking to get more into ballet, I've gotten very into dancewear! This isn't surprising because I love fashion in general. I especially love ainsliewear right now; it's so feminine. While I'm still a little self-conscious, I have also purchased crop and bra tops for my dance classes (I'm in Jazz right now) and when I think about wearing skirts for dance it seems to be less about hiding my little pooch and more about making a cute outfit. It's kinda funny since so many people associate dance with body image issues, that dance (and the super cute outfits that go with it) is helping me get over my awkwardness about my post-surgery body!

LaFilleSylphide

I love wearing nice things! It shouldn't influence the way we dance, but I feel the same way too. I feel great in what I wear and so it exudes into my dancing too!