Ballet Talk for Dancers
BlleFille

Class in Leotard SANS skirt?

Sparrow

I love wearing nice things! It shouldn't influence the way we dance, but I feel the same way too. I feel great in what I wear and so it exudes into my dancing too!

I know! And isn't that one of the benefits of being an adult dancer, that you can buy and wear whatever you want to? No one is going to say, "That's too much, go put it back." :grinning:

LaFilleSylphide

Hahaha, which reminds me of the last time I took a class with a bunch of young un's. I was luckily allowed to take a workshop that was not open to the public, taught by the lovely Ms. Ommi from San Francisco Ballet. I entered a sea of uniformed kiddos with my day-glo turquoise Elevé with lemonade yellow trim, and white/turquoise chevron patterned bust. The kids' eyes were wide as saucers lol. Dancing in a fun leotard feels fun! It's like being in costume. Hopefully when those kids graduate, they'll also want to wear whatever crazy their hearts desire too!

BalletFamily

What a nice thread. And I'm glad some of the not-so-nice to read comments were rethought.

In my adult classes, we can wear anything we want, as long as it doesn't get in the way or keep us from moving. I am in my 50's, average from the hips/butt down, and quite plus-sized above it. We have all ages and body sizes/shapes in the class, which is awesome.

I wear close-fitting leggings or snug capri yoga pants and a baggyish t-shirt on top. I'm in the process of getting more standard wear. So far I haven't found a leotard that fits me (in person or online) but finally found an online place that looks like it will (Discount Dance Supply...they're on sale too).

I've been thinking a lot about what to pair with the leo. It seems most plus-size wear assumes you're pear-shaped or hourglass and I'm not. Maybe a loose tank over the leo which is over tights? Maybe that but with leggings over the leo instead of tights? (an open enough top to see the leo and allow my teacher to see my body alignment) I'm kind of excited about being able to experiment.

txstudent

I'm in my mid-20s and have a slender build (except for my hips!), and even though it can sometimes be intimidating I do typically wear just a leotard and tights (often pink, but sometimes black) at the barre and put on a skirt for center. In the beginner classes I sometimes am the only one in a leotard, let alone tights. In intermediate classes almost everyone dons a leotard, but many add garbage bag shorts or skirts at the barre. Many of those ladies are more experienced than I am, and I really want to make any flaws as visible as possible to the teacher especially since intermediate classes are a stretch for me. I think it is fine to wear whatever you want--honestly many experienced teachers I've talked to say that they can tell if someone needs a correction even if they are wearing yoga pants, although a loose and thick t-shirt may get in the way--but I think that what I wear immediately signals that I'm asking for corrections, or that I'm crazy. One of the two. It also gets me in the right mindset. There was one time when I was fresh out of clean leotards and wore yoga pants and a tight yoga tank top to class and it just didn't feel right. I blame the clothing. :cool2:

I'm also of the tights worn over the leotard school (gasp!) mostly because it covers any sweat marks that could potentially appear on the front crotch area. And in Dallas things get sweaty, so it is vital for me and my dignity that I wear my tights over my leotard.

Edited by txstudent

Sparrow

I am home from school now and could finally try on my large order from ainsliewear. Two of the three leotards I ordered I consider flattering enough that I would wear sans skirt or shorts! The first is the Stacey leotard in the Mod dot fabric (which runs small so you could probably order to your girth and have it fit pretty well), which fits close to the body but has a cool geometric construction that I feel camoflages the area I'm self conscious about. The other is the Spaghetti Strap w/ b&w soft floral and that one is more due to the pretty busy print. I think when I go to my first TBT class this weekend I will try wearing my Stacey and tights only!

txstudent

Woot! I really like the look of the Stacey. Enjoy your class!

I should also say that I typically prefer wearing knit tights because they provide a little more coverage in the gluteal area than most plain microfiber tights.

next2normal

I always take in just a leo and tights. I get hot easily and don't like the extra bulk. I also like being able to see my leg through my pink tights because it helps me monitor my rotation. I don't care about looking fat--I'm there to learn.

The only time I wear warm-ups or coverups are if it's cold or I'm on my period. For auditions (musical theatre, I'm not an actual dancer), I wear a skirt just because my lower half is very shapely and the skirt helps balance that out

Edited by next2normal

Laschwen

I have been wearing skirts for a little privacy over my pink tights ever since finding adult classes and now feel naked without.  That only happens if I forget to put a skirt in my bag.  I consider it a privilege of adulthood as I was not allowed as a teen or child. 

Mmp

I wear a black leotard that has more generous legs. Almost cut like booty shorts on the bottom but a traditional leotard on top. I wear pink tights. Most of my classes are with students, a lot of which I've either taught in the past or teach currently. So I feel like it's important that I set an example for them and show that I'm taking the class and the rules seriously so that they don't think it's okay to show up in sweats just because I did it. The only exception is that my hair is too short for a bun and I wear it in a headband. 

I like the extra room in the legs because my butt is not the size of a teen girls butt and in a leotard cut like the ones they wear I'd look like Cher in her "If I Could Back Time" video. 

Daemya

I don't think I would ever go without bottoms lol! I always wear black leo, pink tights and black booty shorts. My teacher actually told us that adult students should wear some kind of bottom (skirt or shorts) cover so that kind of makes it easier. In some ways, I kind of like when a studio has a dress code because you don't have to agonize over what to wear. It also curbs my dancewear spending :wink:

arciedee

I'd be curious to know why the teacher thinks adult students "should" wear a skirt or shorts. :dry: