Ballet Talk for Dancers
pointy_ears

Scholarship to SI; rejected for year-round

pointy_ears

Hello!

Hope everyone is having a great summer so far!

My 14-year old daughter is wrapping up her 5-week intensive soon, to which she was accepted with scholarship.

Then, once there, she was also placed in a higher level than what was considered "average" for her age after her placement audition.

Recently, she found out she was not accepted into the year-round program. She was okay wiith it, as she mostly signed up just "to see". She also said very few people her age actually got in, that it was mostly "older" students.

My question: how common is it to be offered a scholarship for an SI, placed at a higher level once beginning the SI, and then turned down the year-round program? And what might this "mean"?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

birchbark

I would think it's fairly common. Summer scholarships are generally offered after an audition - generally the adjucator has a sense of a student's ability and range and knows what types of students they are looking for in the summer program. For a year-round audition that is happening at an SI, however, it's an accumulated decision based on working with the student for a lengthy amount of time. I would guess that more scholarship opportunities exist at the SI level than open spots in the year-round program, from what you've shared.

I don't think it "means" anything, other than at this time for this program, it was not a good fit. That's not to say that your daughter didn't grow and progress in the summer program and won't find an excellent fit elsewhere.

napnap

Good thing you found out now that it wasn't a good fit. Move on! Otherwise, you would wait four years to find out it wasn't a good it, when she doesn't get into the company -- then, it's a bummer!

MamatoMary

Maybe it just means there were very few, if any, openings at the year-round for someone her age and ability. Maybe there were a lot of openings for older girls. In other words, it may not "mean" anything other than supply and demand. I wouldn't worry about it.

Coco

I too wouldn't worry especially since your dd was just testing the waters so to speak. I also wouldn't necessarily dismiss the possibility that she could be considered at a different point and time, if she remained interested in the school.

Lady Elle

Also at the SI audition you have a variety of auditioners, some who didn't even make it into the SI. At the SI, you are among a more selected group of girls, some of whom received scholarships and some who didn't. Yes, there are probably fewer openings for the residential program. Did she feel it "wasn't a good fit"? I would think just because you were not offered year round doesn't mean it wouldn't be a place your dd might want to try for again! She's very young!

learningdance

First BIG hugs! There but for the grace of God go any of us. As much as we can all put a positive spin on it, right now I know that your family is hurting and that your DD is hurting.

First, you will not know why she did not get in. You can observe the organization, listen to what you hear, and ask some questions but ultimately you will never really know why this year your DD did not get it. So, don't speculate much. Don't create a bunch of stories. . . they could be right or they could be wrong. And going round and round gets you know where.

Second, no one knows how common your scenario is but I can tell you that rejection IS common, no matter who your child is. You will not win the competition, not get the desired role, not get into the SI, etc. If there is anything to be learned (and sometimes there isn't) learn that and then move on and put it behind. It's so hard though. It really is. To be thrown a scholarship and then to not get in full time.

Third, you really don't want your child in a program where the faculty are not FULLY invested in your DD and committed. I don't know if this is a residency but if it is, you really don't want your child away from home, struggling, and then feeling off in dance class. This puts your DD at risk.

Coco

Perhaps I should have mentioned in my earlier post that at one point in our DKs journey after receiving consecutive scholarships to a SI, there was no acceptance into the year round. At the time, there was much disappointment; however in hindsight, it would not have been a good fit for multiple reasons that were at the time obscured by the gleam of the school's big three letters. Not getting in actually sparked our DK and us to have a more critical look at programs in terms of strengths and fit, to focus on what she really needed to work on and to cast a wider net. I think this is when DK started to develop some grit when it comes to ballet. Before that, I think DK was just dancing, if you know what I mean. Our DK too was 14 at the time.

pointy_ears

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to reply so thoughtfully. I really appreciate your insights and your sharing your experiences.

vagansmom

I agree with MamatoMary that it is likely just a case of supply and demand. Remember that there are students already in the year-round with scholarships. The school has only a certain amount to give out. If all the students already with scholarships are continuing this year, then there likely are very few available to offer to summer students. Scholarship award numbers can be very different within the same school from year to year and even from semester to semester. I wouldn't read anything into it. It sounds like your daughter is a very talented ballet student!