Ballet Talk for Dancers
mamabear

Pas de deux for tall females during teenage years

FabFoursMom

I have a set of G/B twins who are 13 and dance. They are both on the tall side. DD is 5'7 and DS is just over 6'. Getting partnering experience at our studio can be hard since DS is only 1 of 2 boys so the boys tend to be saved for the highest level of dancers and the girls in the next level down tend to have to wait to get their opportunity until they are moved up.

slhogan

Access to regular, good quality pas de deux training is one of the reasons that we are even considering residential school for dd, but now I'm wondering if her height is a special consideration that I need to take into account when looking at residential schools.

I would say that any residential program with a strong men's program will have some tall men. Male dancers come in a variety of heights. If your daughter attends a school that routinely has at least 15-20 older boys (age 15-18), there should be at least one or two of those boys who will be able to partner tall girls.

Happyfeet15

Not sure I can ask this specific question, but I'll ask anyway...are there SI's for taller dancers? My DD15 is very tall 5'8" and we are just beginning to determine which programs might be a good fit for her at her age. The only one I've heard of consistently is PNB.

mln

My ds is moderately tall, but because my husband is the height of a college basketball player, my ds's teachers have always directed my ds to tall company s.i.s. Ballet West and PNB did indeed have a lot of tall men, even tall young men, 15-16 years old, when my son attended. My ds's teachers have also recommended Joffrey Chicago, though we have not yet checked out this program personally.

slhogan

Ballet West is known for liking tall dancers. When my son attended the SI, there were guys there much taller than 6 feet (like, 3-5 inches taller than 6') and some women who were around 6'.

dancemaven

Happyfeet15, if you do a Search using words such as "height requirements", you will find a number of threads discussing various aspects of height issues, including SIs.