Ballet Talk for Dancers
mjl2300

Year around ballet program with housing!

mjl2300

I'm the proud father of a ballerina. My daughter just turned 13 a week ago going into the 8th grade. She has been dancing since she was 3 and loves to dance and becoming a professional is her dream. She is in our local regional ballet company which is a strong regional company, but does not offer the professional caliber trusting that she craves. She just completed a five week summer intesive with a Balachine professional company. The director told me that my daughter has the talent, passion, work ethic and body type to become a professional dancer. He said that he would love to work with her and that she would be great with their company. The issue is their year around program does not offer housing/education.

Question: is there a Balachine year around school that offers student housing and school.

I want my daughter to have every opportunity to follow her dream of becoming a professional ballerina.

Thank you,

Dad

learningdance

Well, Dad. . welcome and this is a pretty complex forum.

Read through the entire 30 or so pages for the following programs, that are clearly Balanchine

School of American Ballet

But, I guess it seems that any classical program would support the Balanchine style.

Others?

Hendolvik

SAB is Balanchine and offers housing.

Rock School for Dance Education in Philadelphia offers a mixed program of styles but was originally founded by Barbara Weisberger, who was a Balanchine protege (when it was the School of the PA Ballet). It is not "Balanchine" but is one of the few ballet schools that offers housing (across the street from the studios), and offers Rock Academics, online school for grades 7-12.

Edited by Hendolvik

Victoria Leigh

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, mjl2300! We are glad that you have joined us, and hope that you will enjoy reading, learning, and participating in our discussions.

It is great that your DD was so positively recognized in her summer course, but I would advise you to do a lot of reading here before thinking about residential programs. There are quite a few very good ones around the country, but it's not always necessary for a young dancer to attend a residential school in order to receive the training needed to become a professional dancer. It depends a great deal on the quality and quantity of the training in your area. If it is not sufficient for what is needed by the time a dancer is entering high school, then it might be necessary to consider a residential program. But they should be very carefully researched. You can start by looking through our forum on Residential and Pre-Professional Scools. There are also a lot of topics on Residential schools in the Parents forums. (You may have noticed that I moved your topic to a Parents forum, as the YD 13-19 Forum is for students in that age range. :) )

Please aware that classical training does not have to be in the Balanchine style to train a professional dancer. Most of the residential programs are actually not Balanchine style, although the ones mentioned above are. But most professional company schools and residential schools are not specifically in that style, but more of an International mix. They train dancers for the varied repertoire of most companies, although most companies also include Balanchine works in their repertoire. A well trained classical dancer needs to be able to adapt to many styles!

mjl2300

Thank you all so much for the information and re-posting my post. My daughter really likes Balanchine style and would prefer that type of school. We have had a few of our company dancers over the years attend North Caroliina and D.C. Another option closer to home is Ballet Chicago. I'll continue to read through all the post. Thank you group for your help.

Ballet Dad

Monet

My daughter attends Ballet Chicago year round it's an amazing Balanchine school and studio company. The training is top notch. Fell free to ask me any questions.

dancemaven

. . . . on the dedicated Ballet Chicago thread in the Pre-Professional/Residential Ballet School Forum. :wink::thumbsup:

MelissaGA

I think, if you are truly in need of a residential program with housing and academics, the approach will need to be a little different, unless she is accepted to the School of American Ballet. I think you would need to look at each individual program to see what it is they really offer. While SAB is the only school that fits the requirements you've mentioned, you may find other schools that offer more of an eclectic mix that may include Balanchine.

Keep in mind that Balanchine himself came from a Vaganova background. My 18 yo is also enamored with the Balanchine style. One of her small concerns for her summer program was that not all the teachers were from a Balanchine background. When she finally had the Russian teacher that she was concerned about, she said something like "Oh mom, his class was just perfect. Not Balanchine but that sort of Russian style that supports the Balanchine style perfectly." She went on to compare him to one of her favorite teachers who taught at SAB for many years. This is just to illustrate that things may not always be what they seem on paper.Read here, research and then, if possible, visit and try classes in person. If you are going to try for a residency program for next year, you will need to begin that research process in earnest this fall so that you are well aware of deadlines, auditions, etc. They all have their own process. And keep an open mind. Some programs will not have dorms and academics, but may have arrangements with local schools, host families, tutors/facilitators for on-line schools, etc. As you will see time and time again on Ballet Talk, there are many roads to Rome.

mjl2300

Thanks everyone, you're helping out this ballet dad.

mjl2300

My daughter attends Ballet Chicago year round it's an amazing Balanchine school and studio company. The training is top notch. Fell free to ask me any questions.

My daughter just finished the 5 week summer intensive at Ballet Chicago. She loved it and I was very impressed. We live 3 hours southwest of Chicago, so we're looking at maybe moving, so she can attend their year around program. Does your daughter take the train into the city? We would probably live in the suburbs for schools and I'm not a fan of her riding the train by herself.

Victoria Leigh

. . . . on the dedicated Ballet Chicago thread in the Pre-Professional/Residential Ballet School Forum. :wink::thumbsup:

Let's please take specific school questions to their dedicated threads!!! Thank you!

Monet

Mjl2300, I can answer your questions on the School of Ballet Chicago thread or you can message me.

Victoria Leigh

Monet, he cannot message you until he becomes a full member. Mjl2300 is a New Member. :)

Monet

Yes I realized that after I pushed post.

mjl2300

I'll become a full member