Ballet Talk for Dancers

Is 5 days a week of ballet ok?

dancypants1

dancypants1

DD (just turned 14) is still not sure whether classical ballet is what she wants to seriously pursue, or other forms of dance. Ballet is necessary for both, but not at the level she is currently studying probably. She wants to keep her options open, basically, and we are moving to a place she can take a great deal of modern, jazz, etc (really etc- if it exists, they have it!) at an open class format adult geared school, and study classical ballet in the evenings as well. So, hooray, best of both worlds available, as currently it is not.

However- that is a lot of time commitment. Is only 5 days a week of ballet, pointe, the extra class like variations, pas, etc acceptable at this age to keep her caught up should she decide classical ballet is her wish to pursue? Or is 6 the standard at this age?

6 days may be required by her school, I am not sure. So it may be a moot point. But if possible, I'd love to work a schedule with a weekend and a week day off dance for social time and to get out a bit. It's no fun being in a new exciting place and just seeing the inside of a dance studio, you know? And between the classes in other genres and the ballet school, she will be dancing around 5-6 hours a day, which is still an awful lot. Some of the days will be pilates, yoga or stretch but mainly a whole lot of dancing. So to me- 5 seems fine. But I read 6 days a week of ballet is necessary, and she is wanting to keep the ballet door open for now, so...advice?

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

How many ballet and pointe classes are offered for her level? Five days is fine, as long as that is the scheduled amount of classes for her level. I would like to know a bit more about the 'open format' and 'adult geared school' you mentioned. Are you talking about the jazz, modern, etc. classes, or also the ballet classes?

dancypants1

She will be at a leveled, pre-pro school for ballet (and all associated classes like pointe, variations, character, etc) in the evenings, I think 6 days is the regular schedule but I would like to do just 5. It is a traditional school- ballet 1.5, pointe .5-1.0, for ages 6-7 to late teens, a professional company school.

The open class format, everything from Bollywood to Graham, school would be for 2-3 classes a day, at least one of which a week will be pilates, yoga or stretch but mostly jazz, Horton, Graham. It is a separate school, geared more towards adults though they have classes for children as well, it's very much like Steps in NYC but quite a bit larger. She would probably not take ballet there ever, unless over breaks, simply because she wants to partake of the other styles at that school.

Her level will be scheduled 6 days, but I'd like her to do only 5, basically, in the ballet school- as long as that will still keep the classical ballet option open.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Have you discussed this with the AD?

dancypants1

No, we are moving and she will be starting at a new school. What I am trying to determine is if age appropriate, pre pro ballet training can be done with 5 days a week at this age, or if 6 is necessary. I'm sure ballet teachers will want her to do more ballet, but does she really need 6 days this year or can we shave one off?

She does 6 now, and has for the last 2 years.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

I still say that needs to be determined with the school. If the program is a 6 day program, and if they expect the students at that level to be there 6 days, then it would not be fine. If they are okay with it, then, fine. Be aware that it could, however, effect casting and rehearsals if the school does regular productions. If not, then it is a matter of whether she wants to stay with her level and not miss anything by missing a day every week.