Ballet Talk for Dancers

rhythmic gymnastics

Poppiedancer

Hi

I'm thinking of trying out for the rhythmic gymnastics team for my school. But every one there is really flexible, and I can't do the splits, or any gymnastic stretchs.

Does any one know any helpful stretches or does rhythmic?

Thanks..

Em

Guest JewelTutu

I did competitive gymnastics for five years before beginning ballet. Let me tell you, it was soooooo much fun. But it requires alot of strength and flexibility. If you are in ballet at the moment, i would not reccommend doing gymnastics because it can severely arch your back, and in ballet, you need a straight back. It was one of the first things my teacher had me work on when I started balletl I had to get rid of the arch. Anyways, this might be different for rythimic gymnastics because it involves the ribbon, the ball etc. Just do some research and ask your dance teachers. Best of luck. :):):)

As this program seems to be part of a school activity, though, I wonder if the intensity of the gymnastics side would be as rigorous as in interscholastic competition? Or is this the purpose of the team? The situation seems a little unclear.:confused:

Guest JewelTutu

Since it is a gymnastics TEAM, I believe that there would be some competition. That's the purpose of the team, to challenge others. I was also on the school team and they encouraged some healthy competition, but we were told not to take it overboard. For example: when there are disputes between the teams, don't do or say anything stupid because it could come back and slap you in the face. Anyways, I say go for it!

Guest tianehu

Hi, I do rhythmic gymnastics too...I found it in some ways beneficial for ballet, for example, it really helps in your flexibility and strength, in both the legs and the back as well. There are many elements in rhythmic gymnastics that are applicable to ballet, such as split leaps or stag jumps which help in grande jetes, and lots of other movements that I only know the chinese terms of so I can't really mention them here. And since you already take ballet, I think it will be much easier to pick up rhythmic gym than someone who has not got a ballet background. Also, you already have the style, grace, and probably some flexibility! So I'll say go for it as well! Just remember not to over strain your muscles, even if you are tempted to, after seeing all the others being better than you at first...I'm sure you will catch up very quickly! :)

Guest Ballet_babe_123

I was a rhythmic gymnast before I was a (serious) dancer. Even though I had to give it up (because of conflicts between that and dance) I still coach the "little ones" of a local rhythmic club before my Saturday classes. Just a little background on rhythmics (for any one who isn't quite clear on it). Rhythmics is dancing (to a certain degree) with the use of apparatus (ball, hoop, rope, club, and ribbon) Free routines (routines without apparatus) are also done. Flexibility is usually stressed. The thing with rhythmic gymnastics (that I found) was it helped my strength/flexibility. It also gave me an arch in my back and it's always driving my ballet teacher nuts (:) ). On the other hand, when I started taking ballet everyone told me how I had that extra something when I performed (rhythmic gymnastics). If you ever watch a competition or just gymnasts (not nessicarily professionals) I bet you'll be able to pick out the ones who have a dance background.

Whatever you choose to do, rhythmic gymnastics is a wonderful and beautiful art form. Sorry I kind of rambled on :o but if it's not too intense I'd go for it, just take it easy and try it out if you're interested.

Guest rhythmicgymnast

Rhythmic is great! It does incorporate a lot of ballet, which is why we have a ballet class during training. You have done ballet and want to start rhythmic, I'm the other way round - I'm doing rhythmic, and starting ballet. I think you'd be really good at it and I wish you all the best!

• Administrators

As with everything, it depends on how it is taught. If the program you are doing stresses an arched back, which most of the ones I have seen seem to do, then this is not beneficial for ballet. It also does not use rotation. Therefore I fail to see the benefit because flexibility without rotation and especially without proper placement is not going to help your ballet.