Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
myrrha

DD moved up a level but not really

myrrha

This is the first time posting in this forum as my DD just turned 13! My DD was just moved up from level 3 to level 4 at her school. They had 5 levels and a pre professional level that is invite only. Generally a student stays in a level for 2 years. My DD had been in level 3 for 2 years so she was due to move up. But this year, they added a level 6 and moved everyone up a level regardless if they had been in that level for 1 or 2 years. If they had kept it the same as last year, in level 4 my DD would have had ballet technique for 2 hours 5 days a week which would have put her at the right amount of hours for her age. But with the reorganization, she only has class 3 days a week, 2 days are 2.5 hours and 1 day is 2 hours. Last year she had class 3 days a week 2 hours each, so it's almost the same. I'm not sure what to make of this. My DD dreams of becoming a professional dancer but if she has this same schedule for the next 2 years I don't think that will be enough hours to get there. Also, my DD was a little disappointed b/c she feels that she didn't really get moved up b/c it's almost like she was staying the same since they added another level.

Pinkytoes

This is just my opinion. I think the kids (and many parents) get very caught up in the number level for wherever DS/DD is studying. It as seen as a critical measure of the likelihood of future success. However, as you may have noticed, the numbering system and criteria for each level vary considerably place to place. Therefore, as hard as it may be to disregard the "number hype," to me the larger issues are whether the level of the technique/curriculum is appropriate for DD/DS in terms of development as a dancer, how DD/DS compares technically to peers, and (as a parent more maybe) whether the class schedule is doable/appropriate for your DD/DS.

amsunshine

It does seem to be a somewhat light schedule according to the guidelines posted here. Have you talked to the director of the school about your concern regarding the lower amount of hours?

vagansmom

I'd be concerned about a 13 year old only having classes 3 days a week. I'm sure one of the teachers will step in with her wisdom.

MelissaGA

Perhaps it is time to ask for a meeting/discussion with whomever is the most appropriate person at the school to inquire about these issues. I would think you and your dd would like to understand why dd has been placed in this level and what does she need to work on to move to the next level. Let them know that you are concerned about the lack of hours for the level she has been placed in. Dd has had her share of level disappointments over the years. Finding out the reasoning behind a placement was always been the most helpful for dd as it helped her focus on what she needed to accomplish next.

It is always possible that this was an oversight or that they see some specific deficiencies that they think will not be aided in the next level. But, seeing the disparity in hours from level 3 to level 4, I'm also confused. Usually, it is a gradual increase, adding one day each year. They would go from 3 days a week to 5 days a week. Maybe it is even a schedule error?

Gis66elle

My daughter was in a very similar position a few years ago as your DD, Myrrha. We loved her school, but the lower levels simply were de-prioritized relative to the upper levels in terms of studio time and space. Plus, it was hard for my DD to improve to get moved up because she had fewer classes than the more advanced girls; it was a real Catch-22. We made the decision to stay at the studio (because my DD loves it) but augment her schedule with outside classes. I found a studio that had the same training style but was smaller and added between one and two classes a week in the outside studio. For my DD this ended up being the breakthrough year and she was moved to the higher level that had more hours of dancing. If you are in a larger city there are likely to be small but still good ballet studios where you can get this extra training. Good luck, I remember how tough this is.

Lady Elle

I would have a chat with the director. It really isn't about what level number she is placed in. Its about the amount of training she is getting in that level and the amount of training that she needs!

Amie

My DDs' have been on the receiving end of added levels throughout their time at our dance studio (it's a new and growing studio.) One of the reasons the school added levels was that they noticed students going from one of the levels to the next one were having trouble adjusting to the demands of that higher level. The added level made transitioning easier for the students (and teachers!) Perhaps this is what happened at your DD's studio? It might also explain the change in scheduled hours?

However, I am unsure what specifically has disappointed your DD. So, I'm not sure exactly what advice to give. Did other students in level 3 get moved up 2 levels to level 5, and she only got moved up one level to 4? So, maybe she feels she is not really keeping up with the others? I think most of our DDs have felt this disappointment. They usually just need some words of support and encouragement (she will be a leader in the class, someone the teacher can depend on, now she will stand out as one of the best in the class, etc.) One of my DDs spent 3 years in level 3, but then she only spent one year in level 4. You never know what might happen. I've learned to trust the teachers' judgement on these matters. They know what is best for the dancers. Or maybe your DD is disappointed she won't be getting enough dance classes with the newly created schedule? Perhaps you could ask the studio if your DD could take extra classes in other levels or outside the studio. Or maybe there is another reason she feels discouraged? Hope this has helped.