Ballet Talk for Dancers
mom2

Documentaries: The Ballet Boys (2014)

mom2

The other day I saw this film on the plane:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3447810/

It is a snapshot of three boys training in Norway. They are followed for a little over a year I think. It's similar in some ways to the Canadian films "Ballet Girls" and "Ballet High," however this time the subjects are only boys. There is lots of footage of them dancing with girls (and the girls are lovely dancers), but the girls are not subjects of the film. The scenes of partnering classes reminded me of some of the discussions I've seen happening here lately on BT4D.

The plane landed before the film was over, so I didn't get to watch all the way to the end. I did see that one of the boys was accepted to the Royal Ballet School; he and his parents were waiting to see if he would receive a scholarship, and he also described feeling badly about leaving his good male friends and his family. I did some google research and learned that this young man graduated from the Royal Ballet School in 2015 and I see that he was given a contract with the Royal Ballet's young dancer program: Lukas Bjørneboe Brændsrød – The Royal Ballet Aud Jebsen Young Dancers Programme. I don't know exactly what this means - sounds like it is an apprentice level position?

At any rate, this was a nice film which would especially appeal to parents of boys.

:)

mom2

slhogan

I've been wanting to see this movie-- the promotional materials look really interesting! My son got to know one of the boys, Syvert, at Houston Ballet's SI this past summer.

slhogan

An update on Syvert-- Houston Ballet announced that he has been offered an Apprenticeship position starting in January. He had attended HBA's SI this past summer, and has been in Houston Ballet's 2nd Company.

5uptown

My son (a young ballet dancer) and I really enjoyed this film. It follows the boys for three years, I believe. As a parent it was lovely to watch them growing up. The stories of their relationship to dance were also interesting-- Syvert quits at one point and then comes back to dance, while Lukas (the boy who eventually goes to the Royal Ballet School) is laser focused on ballet throughout the whole film. One boy forgets his choreography in the middle of a competition, and the teacher is very supportive and encouraging afterwards. The focus is really on the boys and their relationships with eachother, and it was nice to see a film about boys who not only dance, but who have a close, supportive community that they are part of. I would say it is less about dance and more about "coming of age" for a group of boys in an unusual setting. For my dancing son, it was nice for him to see such a positive portrayal of dancing boys, and also of male friendship.

Just a note: at least in the version we watched, most of the movie is subtitled.

momofaboy

I just saw this movie. I rented it on iTunes and I wished I had purchased it.  It's mostly in Norwegian, but with English subtitles. I really enjoyed it so much more than Billy Elliot or other ballet movies. S13 is at the stage of the boys at the beginning of the documentary and I'm going to have him watch it as well.  

I was able to find that two of the boys are now professional ballet dancers.