Ballet Talk for Dancers
jambo

YAGP Coaching

jambo

My DD has always wanted to give the YAGP a try but her home studio does not participate (nor support) the YAGP. Is there some sort of network/resource for finding a regional coach to help her train?

learningdance

Well there probably is, but that's really treading on thin ice IMO. .. .Just a few things to think about:

1. If your DD competes at YAGP will she compete under her studio's name? Probably need to find out what they prefer.

2. What if the style and preferences of the coach contrast with the schools?

I guess what I might do is go to your school and just tell them, "We are going to do YAGP. We know that you do not do this but we think that the performance opportunities would be good for our DD. We will be seeking a coach and would appreciate any input you may have. Unless you tell us otherwise, we will be competing as "Independents" and will not associate ourselves with the School's name.

Better to just lay it all out up front so that no one is surprised.

Pensive

learningdance has given great advice.

DD's school has several kids who participate, enough that the school just can't ignore the issue. However, the school really isn't crazy about the idea. They do allow the kids to compete under the school's name, but there are a lot of headaches that have ensued with parents of non-competitors claiming that the kids are getting special treatment with private coaching and such. Everything is kept "hush hush" which, in my opinion, just adds fuel to the jealousy fires.

rosetwirl

Jambo, your dd may compete at the YAGP as an "independent." Here is a link to a list of contemporary choreographers the YAGP website provides.

http://yagp.org/?page_id=1246

You could also email the folks at YAGP and ask for recommendations of coaches in your area: regional@yagp.org.

jambo

Thanks so much you guys! Great advice and RoseTwirl I think that makes so much sense. I agree that entering in as an independent makes the most sense as DD can then receive coaching outside of regular training and not cause any of the potential issues Pensive spoke of. There have been dancers over the years who have competed in local competitions as independents so I am sure this would be similar. I was primarily concerned with figuring out coaching opportunities.

learningdance

Good for you Jambo. . There might be reasons other than the students' welfare that cause the school not to want to do competitions. Maybe they don't have time, studio space, or sane parents?

But it is valuable. I was just trying to suggest avoiding added drama. . . but go forward!