Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet Audition

inbetween2

So this year my daughter did grade 5 ballet and inter foundation however just did the 5 exam. She started Pointe this year, so quite a big year for her in the ballet. She has been doing about 5 ballet classes a week along with all other styles.

She is 11.5 and we have auditions coming up for ballet extension at the QLD ballet ( that is our state). I have never thought about auditioning for anything like this as she hasn't been dancing that long, but this year she has really come along way and her ballet teacher thinks it would be a good idea to try even if she doesn't get in.

I am really excited for her and she seems happy but I think she is at a cross road with what she really wants. Is there an age where you really need to start focusing on one thing? I always thought you could do both?

• Administrators

Everyone is different, inbetween2, so there is no definitive age for this kind of thing. But, at 11.5 doing an audition is not making a commitment. If she is accepted, then she will need to decide if she really wants to do this or not. Does this extension program just mean extra classes, or is it a move to a full-time school or a complete change of school?